Thursday, September 29, 2016

Snakeman Warrior: Figure 249 of 266

     This week I painted up the Snakeman Warrior from the Swamp Things set.   I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     I forgot to take a picture before I started applying paint, so here is the stock one from the Reaper website.
     I began by painting the scales with Nicole's "Brown", and the underbelly and arms with Americana "Sable Brown".
     Next, I painted some large oval blotches running down its back, and some smaller ones running down the sides, using Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate", Then I painted edges around the large blotches using Reaper MSP Bones "Cinnamon Red".  After that, I painted the leather harness and straps as well as the large pouch on its back with Citadel "Snakebite Leather".  Then I painted his armor, wrist braces, buckles, sword hilts and bow fittings, all with Accent Mustard Seed".
     I followed that with painting the main part of his quiver with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna", and the top part with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  Next, I painted his bow with Folk Art "Gray Green", and then painted the grip with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown".  I painted the arrow shafts with Crfater's Edition "Taupe, and the fletchings with Americana "Buttermilk".
     Next, I re-painted all the armor, wrist braces, buckles, sword hilts, and bow fittings with Ceramcoat "Bronze".  I let everything dry for a while, and then came back and applied a wash of Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush".   When the wash was dry, I painted his eyes with Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow", and then gave them Black slit pupils.  I then highlighted his underbelly scales with Americana "Khaki Tan".
     I then did a little highlighting of his head using the "Sable Brown" and did highlights on all the leather parts using a mix of the base "Snakebite Leather" and Ceramcoat "Maple Syrup Tan".  Next, I highlighted the body of his quiver with Americana "Georgia Clay", and the top part with the "Taupe".  I highlighted the fletchings with Americana "Bleached Sand", and the bow with the base "Gray Green".  Next, I painted the sword blades with Americana "Zinc".   I then highlighted all the "Bronze" areas with Ceramcoat "14K Gold".  I then went back and painted the sword blades with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", followed with highlights using Folk Art "Silver Sterling".
   I then worked on painting the gem in his left wrist guard.  I first painted it with Crafter's Acrylic "Christmas Red", and then did a shadow area with Ceramcoat "Black Cherry".  I then did a little highlight area with Ceramcoat "Opaque Red" followed with some White highlights.  Lastly, I painted his integral base with Ceramcoat "Walnut".
           I let the figure dry over night and the next day I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". When dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".

     I like how the figure came out.  He got a little bit of a rush treatment, as I was short of time this week; but I think he still looks good for tabletop use.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work. How hard do you think it would be to remove the bow and quiver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lasgunpacker! The bow and quiver would be easy to remove. It looks to me like they are actually a separate piece that you should be able to pry/cut off with out too mych difficulty, though you will be left with a small hole you'd have to fill.

      Delete
  2. Looks like at least one of the arms is glued in too... hmm. Might have to add this to my (ever growing) next Reaper order for conversion.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! You're right about at least one of the arms being glued on. I tried to go back and check for you just now, but the paint hides the joint/s too well, and I couldn't really tell if it was both or not.

      Delete