Thursday, August 15, 2013

Zombie-palooza!: Figures 26 - 29 of 265

This week, as things are still busy in my life, I completed the four Zombie figures from the "Undead Horde" set.  I figured they would be nice easy figures to paint.  Before I began though, I decided I wanted to reposition their arms a bit, so they didn't look too identical to each other. I tried the popular dipping in microwaved water method, but, while good for bending things back tot their original shape, I found I couldn't get the arms to bend into totally new positions this way and stay there.  They kept moving back to their original position.  So I resorted to holding them (carefully!), with an 'Ove Glove, in the steam stream from a simmering tea kettle. I then used pliers to bend and hold the arm in place as I dunked the figure in cold water.  This worked after several tries, but as you can see in the some of the photos, left plier marks on a couple of the arms.
 After scrubbing with dish soap, and gluing to a black-primed fender washer, I applied Americana "Reindeer Moss Green" to their skin. I then used, Anita's "Burnt Sienna", Folk Art, "Poppy Seed", Duncan "Slate Blue", and Accent "Mustard Seed" to paint each zombies pants a different color.   For their hair I used GW "Graveyard Earth", Americana "Asphaltum", Accent "Real Umber", and Americana "Moon Yellow".  I then gave them all a wash with Windsor Newton "Peat Brown' ink.  After this dried, I added yellow pupil-less eyes. Then I painted some bloody gore on their hands, mouths, and spattered randomly across their bodies, with Apple Barrel "Apple Maroon",with a couple highlights done with GW "Blood Red".  On the open-mouthed ones, I painted their teeth with Americana "Buttermilk".
 To finish them off I gave each a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  When this was dry I flocked their bases.  Then the next day I sprayed them all with Testor's "Dull Coat".
 
I'm pleased with how they turned out, but I basically copied the same paint scheme I established when I did the Zombie from he Original 30 Bones set a few weeks ago, so I kind of knew what I was going to get when I began painting them.
 
Figures 26-29: Complete


6 comments:

  1. Another good product, keep it up, 10% of the way done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A nice milestone to reach, but it still seems so small when I look at the pile I have left. :-)

      Delete
    2. I feel you my brush brother. I look at my Ork army and just sigh...then walk away like a defeated samurai.

      Delete
    3. Remember, a journey of a thousand figures to paint, starts with a single brushstroke! :-)

      Delete
  2. More great stuff. The simple reposing makes them look a lot better I think. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I agree, just a simple bending of the arms makes them look much less cookie-cutter.

      Delete