Thursday, September 22, 2016

Kyra, Iconic Cleric: Figure 247 of 266

     This week I also painted Kyra, Iconic Cleric, from the Iconics II Pathfinder Miniatures set.  The painting of her completes that set.  It now joins the list of completed sets over on the right.
      She looked to me to be suitably clothed for adventures in a cold environment, so since I am short on Templar type figures for Frostgrave, I decided to paint her as such a figure for my Frostgrave collection.   She would have also made a good Thaumaturge wizard or apprentice; but since I already had a set of those in my collection, I chose to stick with the Templar plan.
     Unfortunately, this is one of the figures from the Bones I Kickstarter that ended up with nose issues. For gaming purposes this doesn't bother me too much, and I crossed my fingers and hoped a nice heavily highlighted nose paint job would hide the fact that she barely had one.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     I began by giving the figure a wash with Reaper "Brown Liner" using a wet brush.  This was to help bring out the details so I could see them better.   When that was dry, I painted all the chainmail Black.   When that was dry, I drybrushed the chainmail with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  Next, I painted her face and hands with Accent "Mustard Seed".  Then I painted her long sleeves with Aleene's "Deep Khaki", and the one odd short sleeve on her right arm with  Americana "Terra Cotta".
     Next, I painted her robes, pants, and turban with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".   I then painted her short sleeves, sash, and head scarf with Crafter's Acrylic "Christmas Red" and her scabbard with Apple Barrel "Apple Maroon".   After that, I painted her shoes, pouches, and belt with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna".  I then painted everything I planned to paint gold with a base coat of Accent "Golden Harvest".
     When the "Golden Harvest" was dry, I painted over it with Ceramcoat "Bronze".  I also painted the sword blade with the "Gunmetal Grey".  I let those dry for a while, and then gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.
     When the wash was dry, I painted her eyes, and then highlighted her skin with a mix of the "Mustard Seed", and Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh". I then highlighted her short sleeves, sash, and head scarf with Americana "Cadmium Red".
     Next, I highlighted her robes, pants, and turban with White. I then highlighted the scabbard with Ceramcoat "Bright Red", and her shoes, belt and pouches with some of the "Burnt Sienna" mixed with some White.   After that I highlighted all the parts I had painted with the "Bronze" using Ceramcoat "14K Gold".  I then highlighted her sword blade, and the chainmail with some Folk Art "Silver Sterling".  Lastly, I painted the figure's integral base with White.
    When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" early the next morning.  Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock and the next day I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
     I like how she turned out.   You can still tell the nose isn't quite right, but I think the rest of her makes up for it.  And on the tabletop, who will notice?

Figure 247 of 266: Complete

2 comments:

  1. Nice job disguising the nose issue, I had to zoom in on that last picture to check it out.

    ReplyDelete