I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying. I then glued each one to an unprimed 1" fender washer, with Aleene's Tacky glue. I then glued the figures to a number of tongue depressors with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue each.
|Note, I added a coat of un-thinned "Green" ink to the bottles the righthand pirate is carrying to give them a green glass look.|
I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to apply a fine sand mixture to the bases. I decided not to spray varnish these as I have had some issues in the past with the translucent figures getting a little tacky after a while; so I'm just going to go with the brush on matte varnish. I did put a little Americana "DuraClear Gloss" varnish on the bottles the drinking pirate is holding to make them look like glass.
|This is the original five I painted as shown above.|
|These are the original five as well.|
|And here's the whole crew.|