I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued them each to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue and glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue. .
I began by painting the figures both completely with Black. I then drybrushed both with Folk Art "Settlers Blue"
"Charcoal Grey". I then went back and painted the teeth on the one with the book, using DecoArt "Light Antique White". When these had had a sufficient amount of time to dry, I gave the flesh parts and the pages of the book all a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.
When the wash was good and dry, I began the doing the highlights. First I highlighted the flesh parts using the base "Flesh". I highlighted the teeth using the base "Light Antique White". Then I highlighted the pages in the book with the base "Buttermilk". I painted all the decorative buttons and skulls on their clothing, and the book, as well as the knife hilt with Ceramcoat "Bronze". Next, I painted the blade of the knife with Folk Art "Silver Sterling" I then added a fine "White" highlight line along the top edge of the knife. Lastly, I painted the base with GW "Khemri Brown".
I let the figures dry the rest of the day, and that night I gave them a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". The next morning I sprayed them with Testor's "Dullcote" spray varnish.