This week I experimented with painting up one of the Pathfinder Goblin Pyros from the We Be Goblins set, that was part of the Bones I Kickstarter; to see how it would look painted up as one of Santa's Elves for my Santa themed Enchanter warband for Frostgrave. I had already officially painted these figures previously, but had picked up a few more of them along the way because they're such fun figures.
I had planned a while back that I wanted to use Christmas elves to represent the four Thieves I had added to my Santa the Enchanter's warband; and had originally prepped four of the Victory Force Miniatures, Unarmed Christmas Elves to use in this role. Then over on the Reaper forum, forum member Pippin suggested I possibly use Goblinsto represnt Santa's elves. The idea buzzed around in my head for awhile, as I wasn't totally happy with the Victory Force Elves. I felt they looked a little too Elf-On-The-Shelf modern. So, I thought I'd do this test on the Pathfinder Goblin kind of as a proof-of-concept as to whether using them for Christmas Elves would work.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking for a few hours in water with a bit of dish soap added, giving a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush, then rinsing and drying. I then glued it to 1" white-primed fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple small dabs of Elmer's white glue, for ease of handling during painting.
I realized the goblin/elf had bear feet, but I wanted it to have shoes; so I used a glob of the Tacky glue on the front of each foot to help obscure the toe delineations.
I began by painting the face and hands with Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh". I then painted the outer clothing Americana "Forest Green", and the leggings, undershirt, and hat with Crafter's Acrylic "Wild Green".
Lastly, I worked on the flame on the torch. I started by painting the base of the flame, and the very tips of the flame, with Black. I then worked from the flame's base, upwards, using: Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow", Crafter's Acrylic "Pure Pumpkin", the "Christmas Red", and then some Ceramcoat "Black Cherry". I applied these colors in fast succession so the paint would still be wet with each successive color allowing me to blend them together.
The figure was all but done now, though as I looked at it I felt the face was a bit too pale and ashen colored and needed a bit more life in it. So I mixed some Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Frutti" with some of the "Flesh", and applied pink highlights to the cheeks and nose. After this, I wrapped things up by painting the figure's base with White.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" early the next morning. Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.