Back at Historicon of 2013, I traded my Bones Griffon to a friend for a couple of his figures, including the Darkrasp, Evil Priest from the Dark Heroes set. (You can see these changes to the count total on the list at the upper right of this blog.) When I had first seen this figure, back when my Kickstarter had arrived, something about its appearance read "Santa Claus" to me; especially with the long "list" he holds in his left hand, obviously containing the names of those who'd been naughty. So, when I had the chance to get an extra one, I took it; with the thought of some day converting it into a Santa Claus figure. Well, with the onset of my Frostgrave addiction, that day finally rolled around; as I decided I wanted to make a Santa themed warband, and I selected this fellow to lead it. And, given the season of the year, it seemed the perfect time to paint him.
First, I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then had to make some changes to the figure to move him a little closer to Santa, and a little further from Evil Priest. I began by cutting off the blade and skull top of his scythe, turning it into more of a wizard's staff. I then glued a small piece of lead shot to the end to make it resemble a stylized North Pole. Next, I cut the bone-like ends off of the roll his scroll is wrapped around. Lastly, I took some Tacky glue and layered it onto the front of the scroll in an effort to lessen the appearance of the runes that are carved into it, as my plan was to list "naughty" names on it. I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue. I finished the prep with painting the little round shot on the end of his staff with some clear metal primer.
I then painted all his chains, and the top and bottom of the lantern, with Ceramcoat "Bronze", then went back and highlighted these with Ceramcoat "14K Gold". I then gave the top and bottom of the lantern a light wash with some GW "Badab Black" wash using a wet brush, to help define them a little better. Lastly, I used White to paint the base, especially anywhere that I had accidentally gotten other colors.
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". Then, the next morning, I flocked the base with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock. Later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
I'm very happy with how this figure turned out. I think it really makes for a unique and fierce looking Santa, and will be perfect for my Frostgrave collection.
Figure 187 of 265: Complete