This past week I started the Pirates set and painted the Mariel Twinspar, Female Pirate figure.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then I gave it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsed and dried it. Next, I glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
I turned now to highlighting the plume on her hat using first the "Bright Yellow", then some Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow". I felt it still needed a little definition, so I gave it a light wash with the "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush. Next, I worked on her hair, using first the base "Maple Syrup Tan", and then using Americana "Buttermilk", and lastly some White.
Next, I worked on the metallics, painting her sword hilt, scabbard fittings, and epaulettes with, first, Ceramcoat "Bronze", and then with Ceramcoat "14K Gold". I then painted her scabbard, and belt buckle with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", followed by highlights with Folk Art "Silver Sterling".
At this point I decided I wanted to get a little fancy, and decided to do some free hand floral designs on her coat. I first painted small stems across the coat using Americana "Olive Green"; I then went over the stems again to give them dimension, using Crafter's Acrylic "Holiday Green". Next, I painted half a flower bud with Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Yellow", and the other half with Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow."
Lastly, I painted he base with Americana "Mississippi Mud". Since my pirates usually fight on board ships, or in taverns, I usually don't flock them. After the figure had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". The next morning I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.