Monday, July 18, 2016

Gruff Grimecleaver, Dwarf Pirate: Figure 230 of 266

      Over the weekend I finished up the Gruff Grimecleaver, Dwarf Pirate, figure from the Pirates set.  After this, two more figures from this set to go, and 36 figures left altogether! :).
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then I gave it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsed and dried it.  Next, I glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     I began by painting his skin with GW "Dwarf Flesh".  I then painted his shirt with Americana "Dove Grey", and his pants with Nicole's "Brown".
    Next, I painted stripes on the shirt with Americana "True Blue".  I then painted his hair with Anita's "Burnt Sienna", and then did his head covering with Ceramcoat "Opaque Red". I painted his boot, belt, and pouch with Black, then did his little apron with Folk Art "Butter Pecan".
     I then painted his pipe with Folk Art "Porcelain White", and then used white to paint little dots on his head covering.  I painted his peg leg with Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate", the stock of his gun with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and the handle of his cleaver with Crafter's Edition "Spice Brown".  Next, I painted all the parts that I planned to paint brass or gold (belt buckle, gun fittings, peg leg fittings, earring, and bracelet on left wrist) with Ceramcoat "Raw Sienna", and painted all the parts I planned to paint as iron or steel (cleaver head, gun barrel, knives in belt, and toe and heel of boot) with Americana "Zinc".   I painted the top of the boot and the band on his right wrist with Americana "Terra Cotta".
     Next, I painted some White dots on his head covering, and then used Ceramcoat "Bronze" to paint all the parts I had painted with the "Raw Sienna" earlier.  I then let everything dry for a few hours, and came back and gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.  When the wash was dry, I painted his eyes, then highlighted his skin; first with the base "Dwarf Flesh", and then with a mix of the "Dwarf Flesh" and Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh".
      I then highlighted his hair with Crafter's Acrylic "Orange Spice".  Next, I mixed a little of the "Opaque Red" with some of Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Fruitti" and highlighted his head covering.  I then used some White to highlight the spots on the head covering, and then used the White to highlight his shirt.   I highlighted his pants with Americana "Sable Brown", then used this color to also add a touch or highlight to the gun and cleaver handle. Next, I highlighted the pipe with Americana "Bleached Sand", and then did his boots belt and pouch with Citadel "The Fang".
   I then worked on completing the metallics; painting the parts I had painted with the "Zinc", using "Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  I then highlighted the parts I had painted with the "Bronze", using Ceramcoat "14K Gold".  Then I went back and highlighted the parts I had just painted with the "Gunmetal Grey", using Folk Art Metallics "Sterling Silver".  Lastly, I painted the entire  base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      After the figure had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".   The next morning I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
   I'm really happy with this little guy.  I think he turned out with a lot of character.

Figure 230 of 266: Complete

3 comments:

  1. Been here since day 1 and looking forward to the final countdown. Is it possible for you to include a list of the minis not yet painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support over the years, Unknown!
      Hmmm...I'll see if I can post a list this Thursday. It may take awhile to look up all their official names....

      Delete
    2. The list is now posted:
      http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-36-remaining-bones-1-figures.html

      Delete