Thursday, July 28, 2016

Mystic Theurge: Bones II Figure

     This week I painted up the Mystic Theurge figure from the Bones II Pathfinder Heroes Set.  My plan is to use him as a Soothsayer type wizard's apprentice for Frostgrave.
    I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     Since I joined the Reaper Forums about a year ago, I found I was reading a lot of high praise for the Reaper brand of Liners, which are a kind of mix between and ink and wash. From what I read, they are reported to be great as a kind of "primer" coat of Bones as they really show off the details as well as shade the figure.  So, I finally broke down recently and ordered a triad of the Brown, Grey, and Blue.  I thought I would take this opportunity to try out the "Grey" Liner, so I gave the entire figure a wash with it using a wet brush.  I then painted the hands and head with GW "Vermin Brown".
 Next, I painted the under robes with Apple Barrel "Apple Scotch Blue", and the outer jacket with Crafter's Acrylic "Purple Passion".
      I then painted the belts around his waist with Crafter's Acrylic "Navy Blue".  I also used the "Navy Blue" to paint the left hand side of the scarf, and blended it in with Accent "Golden Harvest on the right hand side.  My idea is to eventually make it look like it transitions from night to day.  When dry, I gave his whole body a wash with GW "Badab Black" wash using a wet brush.
     Next, I worked on the book hanging at his side.  I painted the pages with Americana "Bleached Sand" and the cover with Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate".   The two wands were painted with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", the stones on their tips were painted with Crafter's Acrylic "Deep Red", and Folk Art Platinum Grey", and the sting wraps were painted with "Americana "Khaki Tan".  I then painted the shoes, belts, all the pouches, and the right end of the scarf, were painted with Black. Next, I painted the medallion around his neck, the buckle on his book strap, and some highlights on the right center of the scarf with the "Golden Harvest".
     I continued with the "Golden Harvest", painting the bracelet on his right hand, and the object he holds in his hand. I then painted his hair with Black. Next, I re-painted his under gown with Folk Art Pearl "Aqua Moire". Then I highlighted his waist wrap and did highlights on the left center part of the scarf with Americana 'True Blue".  I then highlighted his outer tunic with a mix of the "Purple Passion" and Apple Barrel "Apple Lavender". At this point I used Ceramcoat "Bronze" to paint his medallion, book buckle bracelet, and the object in his hand.  Then, after everything a while to dry, I gave the book, wands, and his face and hands, all  a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.  I also gave his light blue under robes a wash with Iron Wind Metals "Dark Blue" ink using a wet brush.
   When the wash and ink were dry, I work on his face; painting his eyes, and then highlighting his skin with Americana "Terra Cotta". I highlighted his hair and his belts, shoes, and pouches with Citadel "The Fang", and then did lighter highlights on his hair with Folk Art "Cloudy Day".  I worked on highlighting the right hand side of his scarf with first Crafters Acrylic "Bright Yellow", then Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow," and then Apple Barrel "Lemon Chiffon" at the very end. I also painted the little tab bookmarks in his book with the "Deep Red", and the "True Blue". Next, I highlighted his under-robe with a mix of the "Aqua Moire" and White. I also painted the rock slabs he is standing on with Americana "Zinc".
    Next, I highlighted the pages in the book with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".  I highlighted the wands with Americana "Sable Brown", and the cord wraps holding the stones on the ends with the "Bleached Sand".  I highlighted the red rock with Americana "Tangerine", and the white rock with White.
     I drybrushed the rocks with first Americana "Neutral Grey", then Crafter's Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey", and lastly Folk Art "Platinum Grey".  I couldn't quite figure out what the two little rectangles on his chest were, so I painted them as scraps of paper with the "Bleached Sand", and added a little script to them with Black.  I then painted the borders of the other tunic, and his necklace, with Folk Art Metallics "Gun Metal", and then highlighted them with Folk Art "Silver Sterling".  I highlighted all the parts I had painted "Bronze, using Ceramcoat "14K Gold".   Next, I added a moon, stars, and the sun to the scarf using White. I also used the White to tough up the non-rock portions of the base.        When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" early the next morning.  Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock and the next day I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.

     I'm happy with how this figure turned out.  I think he has a good mystic look to him, and will do good as a Soothsayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment