Monday, September 7, 2015

Feiya, Iconic Witch: Figure 169 of 265

  This week I took a brief break from working on the Chronoscope set and completed Feiya, Iconic Witch from the Iconics and Officially Licensed Pathfinder Miniatures set.  I did this figure because my playtest of the Frostgrave rules last week (see previous post) made we want a properly winter based figure to act as Apprentice to my Illusionist wizard. I had pressed Cassie the Gnome Wizard in to duty as the Apprentice, but was not happy with her green grass base. (I'm actually working on trading with a friend to get a second Cassie to paint up with a snow base. How's that for obsessive. :) )  Meanwhile, I felt Feiya looked suitable wrapped up for cold weather adventuring.  So many of the remaining wizard figures I have just don't look dressed for a winter trek.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.   I then glued the figure to a 1" white-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue.
     I began painting by giving the figure a wash with thinned black ink with a tiny pin-point drop of dishsoap added to help it flow into the crevices and help show the sculpting details.
      When the ink wash was dry, I painted her pants Crafters Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey". I then painted her top and leggings with Folk Art "Deep Tomato Red". Next, I painted her skin with Crafters Acrylic "Flesh".
     I then painted the half-cape-like garment she wears at her waist with Folk Art "Platinum Grey". I followed this with painting her boots  with Folk Art "Dark Brown". Next, her sleeves and the cloth hanging at her front waist I painted Crafters Acrylic "Tutti Fruitti". I painted her hair with Accent "Mustard Seed", and the ribbons hanging from her hair with Deco Art Dazzling Metallics "Festive Red". There also seemed to be a bit of ribbon hanging from her half-cape which I also painted this color.
 I now worked on her staff, painting the main body of it with Accent "Real Umber".  I then painted the ribbons on it: Crafters Acrylic "Bright Yellow, Folk Art "Metallic Emerald Green", and Crafters Acrylic "Pure Pumpkin". There was one last bit of ribbon there and I used the "Festive Red" on it. Next, I painted the belts at her waist with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna", and I did the trim on her top, as well as the little bit of sleeve showing at her wrist, with White.  The object in her hand I painted Crafters Acrylic "Dark Turquoise".  I now did all her bracelets and assorted arm bands, as well as the little jingle bell on her staff,  with Cermacoat "Bronze".  I then painted all the bits and bobs hanging at her waist with assort colors I grabbed off my table...too numerous to list.
     After all the paint had a few hours to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Winsor-Newton "Peat Brown" Ink using a wet brush.
    When the ink wash was dry, I began on the highlights.  First, I began on the hair; drybrushing it first with Apple Barrel "Apple Maple Syrup", and then Americana "Moon Yellow", and finally adding detail highlights with Americana "Buttermilk".  I then painted her eyes and lips and then did the highlights on her skin with the base "Flesh", and then adding a little White to it to do finer highlights. 
     Next, I painted all the objects in her hair.  First, I painted the knife with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter", and while I had this color out I used it to paint the tips of her boots. Next, I did the knife handle with the "Burnt Sienna", and while I had this out, I added some highlights to her belts. Next,I did the various beads  in her hair. First, with Crafters Acrylic "Christmas Red", which I then used to highlight her top and leggings; and then with White, which I also used to highlight the trim on her top, and the little bit of sleeves at her wrists.  Finishing off her head, I painted the tiara-like hair adornment with the "Bronze", and then used some Folk Art "Silver Sterling" to highlight the edges of the knife blade, and the tips of her boots.  At this point I mixed some of the Festive Red with some of the "Silver Sterling" and did highlights on her hair ribbons and the one at her half-cape. 
    I used Crafters Acrylic "Cherry Blossom Pink" to highlight her sleeve wraps and loin hanging. And then I used American "Dove Grey" to highlight her half-cape.  I then worked on her staff, using the base colors to highlight all the ribbons. I highlighted the little object she is holding with the base "Dark Turquoise" and then added some White reflective highlights.  I next did the highlights on the little bit of pants showing with the base " Storm Cloud Grey", and then did highlights on her her boots with Crafters Edition "Spice Brown".  While I had the Spice Brown out, I also did some highlights on the twigs at the end of her staff.   I then highlighted the various bits and bobs at her waist with their base colors.  Lastly, I used some Cermacoat "14K Gold to highlight all the objects I had painted with the "Bronze". I finished off by painting her base White. 
      When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  The next morning I flocked the base with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock.  Late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
      I'm really pleased with how she came out.  The Frostgrave rules say that Illusionists dress in bright, multi-colored outfits, and I wanted to bring that across in this Apprentice. My thinking was that she is young and still enjoys playing with colors and different appearances.  The figure I'm using as my older Wizard, is more jaded and knows the wisdom of sometimes using camouflage and blending in.
     I had a request over on the Reaper Forums for a close up of this figure, so here it is.    I'm afraid my brush work doesn't hold up to close inspection. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment