Anyway, I began in the usual way; soaking in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued her to a 7/8" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued this washer with a couple drops of Elmer's glue to half a tongue depressor.
Next I did the stone in her staff. I wanted it to be a red gem to add a splash of color to an otherwise drab figure. While I'm good at painting ornamental rounded gems, I still have a problem with faceted ones. I started by painting it GW "Blood Red" I then shaded the thicker parts of the upper facets with Apple Barrel "Apple Maroon", the lower facets I shaded with Apple Barrel "Yellow". I then added some white highlights on the faces of the upper facets ,and along some of the edges. I didn't really get the gem look I wanted, but it turned out looking like some kind of cool fire-rock.
I worked now on the metal bits using mainly Cermacoat "14K Gold". Here again I wanted to spiff up a drab figure, and the Monster Manual had said they liked jewelry, so I applied gold decorations and trim liberally on the figure. I also used this color for all the buckles and the fittings on her staff. The scroll caps I painted with Ceramcoat "Bronze" just to add a different metallic tone.
When all I had done so far had a couple hours to dry, I gave the whole figure (except for the fire-rock) a wash with thinned Winsor-Newton "Peat Brown" Ink. I then went back with some of the base colors and added highlights here and there.
I finished up by painting her hair. I first painted it all white, then, when that had dried, I did a light wash with some heavily thinned black ink. When this had dried, I then went back over and added some pure white highlights. Lastly, I painted her eyes white, and added pupils with Americana "True Blue"
When the figure had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat with Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" When this had dried, I flocked the base. The next day I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote"
I'm pleased with how this figure turned out. It was a nice change of pace to paint a Gnome, which I don't think I have ever done before.
Figure 86 of 265: Complete