Friday, September 18, 2015

Ape-X: Figure 171 of 265

    This week I completed another figure from the Chronoscope Set: Ape-X.  I wanted to paint him to look a little more Victorian Science Fiction than regular Science Fiction, so I planned on lots of iron and brass along with some natural leathers in my color scheme.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.   I then glued the figure to a 1.5" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue.
     I began by painting his entire body Black.  I then drybrushed the areas of skin with Duncan "Slate Blue", and the fur areas wih Folk Art "medium Grey", followed with some spot drybrushing using Crafters Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey".
   I then painted the inside of his mouth with Americana "Shading Flesh", and his teeth with Americana "Buttermilk".  Next, I painted his eyepiece with Americana "Leaf Green." I then  began some of the metals, painting his gatling gun, powerfist, head piece, the motor on his back, and the center of his upper stomach port, all with Accent "Princely Pewter".
     Next, I painted the tubes running from his back to his arms with Accent "Real Umber". The finger pieces and some of the side pieces of his power fist I painted with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna".  The tubes running up his back to his headpiece, as well as some of the bits on the top of the finger parts of his powerfist, and a couple of the bits and bobs on the engine,  I painted with Ceramcoat "Copper".   I then painted some of the fittings on his gatling gun, powerfist, headpiece, engine, as well as head and stomach implants with Ceramcoat "Bronze".  I waited a bit, then gave the inside of his mouth and the leather on his powerfist, a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.
      At this point I thinned some Black ink and applied it in very thin lines at all the metal joints and wherever the tubes plugged into a socket.     Next, I added a bit of shadow to his eyepiece with Accent "Deep Forest Green", and then a highlight with a bit of White. Then, I highlighted his teeth with Crafters Acrylic "Light Antique White", and then mixed a little of the "Light Antique White" with the "Shading Flesh", to highlight his tongue. I then painted his real eye with the "Real Umber" and gave it a highlight with a dot of White". Next up was drybrushing the arm hoses with Accent "Mustard Seed", and then doing highlights on the powerfist leather with the base "Burnt Sienna".  I finished up with highlighting the metals.  All the "Princely Pewter" pieces I highlighted with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter", and then did spot highlights with  Folk Art "Silver Sterling". I then mixed a little of the "Silver Sterling' with the "Copper" to highlight the "Copper" parts. Finally, the bronze parts I highlighted with Ceramcoat "14K Gold". And the last painting was to do the figure's white base with Cermcoat "Walnut".
  After the figure had the afternoon to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" in the evening.  The next morning I flocked the base, and later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.

    I'm really pleased with how this big boy turned out.  I had originally been hesitant to paint him due to his size, but I realized after I started that much of the figure is simply skin or fur, and in the end it went rather quickly.


  1. I missed this one last week. Nice work.

    1. Glad you like it, but I just posted this today, not last week. :)