Thursday, March 12, 2015

Crystal Golem from Bones II

     I had time this week to finish up the Crystal Golem figure from the Bones II Blue Translucent Set. I wanted to paint him up like some kind of Ice Golem to use with my ever growing collection of winter themed figures.
      I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1.5" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue. The washer was big enough to hold, comfortably, so I didn't glue it to a tongue depressor like I usually do.
  First, I gave the figure a heavy wash with Iron Wind Metals "Dark Blue" ink with a pin point of dish soap added to help it flow into the crevices. I used a brush I had dipped in water, to help thin the ink slightly.
  When the ink was good and dry, I drybrushed the figure lightly with Americana "Salem Blue", and then went  over that with a drybrushing of plain white.
      Lastly, I added two white dots for eyes, and painted the entire base white.   After everything had had time to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Cermacoat "Matte Varnish".   When this was good and dry, I mixed a little white paint and Elmer's white glue together, and painted some patches on his shoulders and back.  While it was still wet, I sprinkled it with Woodland Scenics "Snow Flock".  I then gave the base a coat of Elmer's white glue and flocked it with the "Snow Flock as well. I finished up by adding a little clump of unfrayed twine to be some winter grasses.  I didn't spray with the usual Testor's "Dullcoat", as I liked the slight sheen left over from the Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" (Which is not 100% Matte.)
    I'm really pleased with how this figure turned out.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice, thinking I may get this one once they go up for sale...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a really cool figure; I don't think you'd regret it. :)

      Delete
  2. I think the pose is a little goofy, but with just a few simple steps, you really brought it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I expect to see him and the winter elf mage next time we game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess I should be more deliberate about painting what I need for a complete party. At the moment with just the Mage, Giant goblins and golem, it will make a very odd assemblage of adventurers. :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice one! I got to agree that you made the goofy pose look menacing.

    The accumulation of snow on his shoulders is a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The snow was an experiment and I too like the effect. I think I will do it again in the future.

      Delete
  5. Any thoughts on how this might be done without inks? I have tones of paints, but my only ink is plain black. If not, I could certainly invest in some inks. I really love how this and the water elemental came out. Tried a regular wash and it just doesn't adhere to the figure very well (after washing, though not soaking over night so maybe that would help?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Inks are probably your best bet. Also there are a number of paint manufacturers who make clear paint that works to (I like Tamiyas clear colors) A trick to get washes to stick better would be to apply a brush on matte varnish, and allowing it to dry, before applying the wash. (A wash will stick better to paint than the bare plastic.)

      Delete