Thursday, March 12, 2015

Crystal Golem from Bones II

     I had time this week to finish up the Crystal Golem figure from the Bones II Blue Translucent Set. I wanted to paint him up like some kind of Ice Golem to use with my ever growing collection of winter themed figures.
      I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1.5" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue. The washer was big enough to hold, comfortably, so I didn't glue it to a tongue depressor like I usually do.
  First, I gave the figure a heavy wash with Iron Wind Metals "Dark Blue" ink with a pin point of dish soap added to help it flow into the crevices. I used a brush I had dipped in water, to help thin the ink slightly.
  When the ink was good and dry, I drybrushed the figure lightly with Americana "Salem Blue", and then went  over that with a drybrushing of plain white.
      Lastly, I added two white dots for eyes, and painted the entire base white.   After everything had had time to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Cermacoat "Matte Varnish".   When this was good and dry, I mixed a little white paint and Elmer's white glue together, and painted some patches on his shoulders and back.  While it was still wet, I sprinkled it with Woodland Scenics "Snow Flock".  I then gave the base a coat of Elmer's white glue and flocked it with the "Snow Flock as well. I finished up by adding a little clump of unfrayed twine to be some winter grasses.  I didn't spray with the usual Testor's "Dullcoat", as I liked the slight sheen left over from the Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" (Which is not 100% Matte.)
    I'm really pleased with how this figure turned out.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice, thinking I may get this one once they go up for sale...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a really cool figure; I don't think you'd regret it. :)

      Delete
  2. I think the pose is a little goofy, but with just a few simple steps, you really brought it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I expect to see him and the winter elf mage next time we game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess I should be more deliberate about painting what I need for a complete party. At the moment with just the Mage, Giant goblins and golem, it will make a very odd assemblage of adventurers. :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice one! I got to agree that you made the goofy pose look menacing.

    The accumulation of snow on his shoulders is a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The snow was an experiment and I too like the effect. I think I will do it again in the future.

      Delete