Monday, March 30, 2015

Mother & Children: Figure 144 of 265

This week I painted the Mother & Children figure from the Townsfolk set.  That leaves just one more figure to go to complete that set.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue.
     I began by painting the mother's dress with Folk art "Golden Harvest".  I then painted the boy's tunic with GW "Ice Blue".   I then went back to the mother and painted her top and apron with White.
     Next, I painted the baby's cloths with Americana "Dove Grey". Then I painted the mother's and boy's skin with Americana "Mocha", and the baby's with Apple Barrel "Apple Flesh" I painted the boy's shoes with Americana "Sable Brown", and the baby's booties and boy's socks with Folk Art "Barn Wood".  Lastly, I painted the mother's shoes, and the integral white base, with accent "Real Umber"
     I painted the baby's hair with Americana "Moon Yellow", and then let the figure dry for a while.  After it was good and dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash, using a wet brush.
     After the wash was dry, I painted the mother's and boy's hair Black.  I then drybrushed it with some Duncan "Slate Blue" to add highlights.  Next, I painted the eyes on all three figures, with Black sockets, White whites, an Black pupils. Doing those tiny baby eyes was quite a challenge, and he turned out a bit wobbly-eyed; but I could only paint over them so many times.   I then did skin highlights on the boy and mother with the "Mocha", then added a little white to it to do further highlights.  The boy basically has no molded nose, so I tried as best I could to paint one in with highlights.  Same with the baby, who I did skin highlights on with the "Apple Flesh" with a little white added.  I then highlighted the boys tunic with the "Ice Blue" with a little white added, and the mother's dress with the "Golden Harvest" with a little white added.  I highlighted her apron and top with plain white, and the baby's clothes with the plain "Dove Grey".   I highlighted the baby's hair with Apple Barrel "Lemon Chiffon".  Lastly, I painted the entire base with GW "Khemri Brown".
      The next morning I gave the figure a coat of  Ceramcoat "Matt Varnish".  The following day, I sprayed the figure with "Testor's Dullcote".
   I'm really please with how this little vignette turned out, despite the lack of detail on the kids' faces.

Figure 144 of 265: Complete

1 comment: