Monday, May 1, 2017

Bronzeheart, Minotaur Hero: Bones 2 Figure

   This past week, I painted the second of the Bones II minotaur figures from the Beast Mode set: Bronzeheart, Minotaur Hero.
 I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.5" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
   I began by giving the figure a wash with heavily thinned Reaper "Brown Liner" using a wet brush.
     When the wash was dry, I painted his skin with Games Workshop "Vermin Brown".  I then painted his head, leg, and arm fur with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and the handle of his axe with Folk Art "Dark Brown".
     Next, I painted the wraps on the handle of his axe with Folk Art "Barnyard Red", and then painted his horns with Folk Art Platinum Grey" and his teeth with Americana "Antique White".   I then painted his armor all with Accent "Mustard Seed", and his weapons, and wrist guards wth Americana "Zinc".  After that I did all his belts and straps with Americana "Raw Umber" and the pouch at his side with Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown".  I then painted his hooves and the base with Americana "Charcoal Grey".
     I then painted the armor with Ceramcoat "Bronze", and the weapons and wrist guard with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  Then, when everything had a while to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.   When the wash was dry, I highlighted his skin with a mix of Americana "Terra Cotta" and the "Vermin Brown".  After that, I highlighted his head and the fur on his legs and arms with Americana "Sable Brown".  I painted his eyes with Accent "RealUmber", and added tiny white dots to each. After that, I highlighted his teeth with Americana "Bleached Sand". 
     Next, I  highlighted the straps, and the axe handle, with Americana "Mississippi Mud", and the wraps on the axe handle with Americana "Shading Flesh".   I also blended in some black to the ends of his horns, and highlighted the pouch at his side with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  I then worked on the metallics; highlighting the weapons and wrist guards that I had originally painted with the "Gunmetal Grey" using Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver", and the armor and other parts I had painted with the "Bronze", I highlighted using Ceramcoat "14K Gold".
      When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a little sand to the base.  When this was dry, I painted the sand with the "Charcoal Grey", and when the paint was dry, I drybrushed the base with some of the "Territorial Beige", and then some of the "Antique White".
    I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed him with Testor's Dullcote".

   Like his brother that I did last week, I'm pleased with the results.    Nothing exciting, but good solid gaming figures.

4 comments:

  1. Really like the bronze armour and the muscle definition on the back! Only thing I'd have done before painting is to remove that moldline that's running down his chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, XarfaiEngel!
      Yeah, my one big failing as a minis painter is my selective blindness when it comes to mold lines. I hate cleaning them, especially on Bones, so often don't really notice them until after I've started applying paint. :(

      Delete
  2. Beefy!

    And the mold line is noticeable to us looking at the digital pictures, but I suspect that in person during a game it is not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      And, correct, the photos always show a multitude of sins that aren't visible under normal gaming circumstances. I suspect that's one of the reasons I've grown so lazy about mold line removal. :)

      Delete