Monday, May 22, 2017

Goroloth: Bones 2 Sea Monster

     This week I painted up the Goroloth figure from the Bones 2, Expansion Set #1, add-on set.  In looking at the figure, I decided I wanted to paint it like some crazy wizard decided to cross an Octopus with a Shark.  (Crazy you say?! Behold the glory of my Sharktopus! Who's crazy now, I ask!!  Muuwahahahaha!)  :)
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking the pieces over night in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.   I then assembled the model using Gorilla superglue. When the superglue was set, I tested the fit of the mounting hole in the model with a spare Reaper CAV flight stand I had, and was very happy to see it fit perfectly.
     I began by painting the front of the "Sharktopus" with Americana "Shading Flesh", an the rear of the figure with Americana "Wedgewood Blue".  I then made a mix of the two paints and carefully blended the front and back colors together.
    Next, I painted the underside of the tentacles with Americana "Mocha".  I let everything dry for a while, then gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash using a wet brush.
     I then drybrushed the front part of the figure with first a Reaper Free Sample color that was a nice Salmon hue, and followed that with some Folk Art "Almond Parfait".  I then drybrushed the back of the model with Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue".
     I then painted two lines running down the tail, one above and one below the circle indents, using Folk Art "Metallic Emerald Green".  After that, I painted the circle indents themselves with Folk Art Pearl "Aqua Moire".  I then moved to the eyes, painting them a mix of Crafter's Acrylic "Orange Spice" and Ceramcoat "14K Gold".  Next, I drybrushed the underside of the tentacles with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".  I then went back and gave the circle indents a wash with some Iron Wind Metals "Medium Blue" ink using a wet brush.  I then returned to the eyes, and painted White pupils, and then gave them Black centers.   When the ink wash was dry in the circles, I repainted the center of them with the base "Aqua Moire".
    I let the figure dry overnight, and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Since this has a slight sheen to it, rather than being true matte, I decided to go with just this as my final coat.  I did however go back and paint the eyes with Americana "DuraClear Gloss" Varnish to give them an extra shine.





11 comments:

  1. You really outdid yourself with this one. The colourscheme works amazingly well, Sharktopus all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding paint job. I passed on this guy, but man, I kind of regret it after seeing what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Could work as a spacecraft from a water world. Again: nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jay! That's a cool idea. I was also thinking of using one as some sort of flying beast in the jungles of Venus.

      Delete
  4. Ha, what a great paint job for a frankly quite bizarre figure. Given the way the front fins seem to have proto-hands, it seems like you could take the front half of this figure and have it emerging from water on to the beach. Much more likely to interact with the usual adventurers.

    (and far cheaper to cut up a bones monster than a lead one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lasgunpacker! Doing a waterline version is a great idea. You're right that it would get more use. Not that the underwater one won't see action as well; I have a big underwater collection. :) http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2014/05/gaslight-undersea-extravaganza-game.html

      Delete