Monday, November 1, 2021

Durman's Tomb and Queen's Tomb: Bones 5 Figures.

     This past week I painted the "Durman's Tomb" model from the Bones 5 The Dwarf King's Crypt Encounter Set; and I also painted the Queens Tomb conversion I did from my second "Durman's Tomb" model that I had worked on back in the beginning of the month.
    This model is actually in three parts; the lid of the tomb, the base of the tomb, and a corpse insert that fits within the tomb.  I deiced to paint each part separately, since the way the tomb is constructed required that I paint both insides and undersides of the parts.  
     I decided I wanted to paint the tombs like marble, as I figured the Dwarf royalty deserved something a little more fancy than plain carved stone. I then needed to decide on a color of marble.  Black and Red both seemed to indicate more of an evil tomb in my mind, where as white seemed to holy, and green seemed more Elvish.  This left me with blue, which I felt was a worthy color for the Dwarf King and Queen.
    The other decision I made was to not do any conversion work on the second corpse insert to make it more Queen-looking.  In practical game terms the times that the appearance of the inner corpse would matter would be so few and far between (if ever!) it did not warrant the effort it would take to do the conversion.
     I began with the pair of corpses; having pre-washed and dried them, I used a bit of blue-tac to secure them to a tongue depressor.
     I egan by painting the piece entirely with Ceramcoat "White".  When dry, I gave the floor of the tomb a coat of Citadel Contrast "Ultramarines Blue".  When this was dry, I used some Americana "Snow White" to make thin striations on the floor to make it look like marble.
     Next, Next, I painted both the bodies entirely with Citadel Contrast "Basilicanum Grey".  When dry, I went over the armor areas with Citadel Contrast "Templar Black".  Antoehr drying period, and then I drybrushed the amor with Reaper MSP "Scorched Metal".  next I did some dabbing on the metal with, first, Americana "Terra Cotta", and then, Americana "Tangerine" to give a rusty appearance.  Afterwards, I painted the heads, arms, and hands with Reaper MSP "Alien Flesh". 
     I then painted the boots with Americana "Charcoal Grey", and the soles with Ceramcoat "Charcoal".  Next, I painted the beards and hair with Crafter's Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey", and their teeth with Americana "Bleached Sand".  After that, I painted the tunics wit Crafter's Acrylic "African Violet", the belt with Americana "Asphaltum", and the boot tops with Americana "Sable Brown".
     Next, I painted the crowns with Folk Art Brushed Metal "Brushed Bronze".  I then let everything dry for a while, and afterwards gave both corpses, but specifically not the floor, a wash of Citadel Shade "Nuln Oil". 
     When the "Nuln Oil" was dry, I painted the eyes with Apple Barrel "Lemon Chiffon", and then gave them pupils with Americana "Zinc".  Next, I highlighted the teeth with a little of the "White", and then drybrushed a little Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Gmay" over the armor.  After that, I highlighted the face, arms, and hands, with the base "Alien Skin", and added in a little Americana "Dove Grey" for lighter highlights. 
     I then highlighted the beards and hair with the base "Storm Cloud Grey", and did lighter highlights with some Americana "Grey Sky". Next, I highlighted he boots and belt with some Nicole's 'Brown", and the boot tops with the "Terra Cotta".  Lastly, I highlighted the tunics with Crafter's Edition "Purple Passion", and I highlighted the crowns with some Folk Art Metallics "Pure Gold". 
       I let the corpse inserts dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.   When these were dry, I pulled them off the tongue depressor,  turned them over, and painted the undersides with the "White".  When this was dry, I applied a coat of the "Ultramarines Blue" to the underside of the inserts.  I let the inserts dry overnight again, and the next day I gave the undersides a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish as well. 

   I put those pieces aside, and began work on the tombs themselves.  The lids I affixed to a tongue depressor with blue-tac like I had done with the corpse inserts.  The tomb bottoms I glued to 2" grey primed washers, and attached these to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmers glue each. 

     Like with the inserts, I began by giving these pieces complete coats of the Ceramcoat "White".  When dry, I gave the lids and bottoms complete coats of the Citadel Contrast "Ultramarines Blue".  I let this dry, and then drybrushed the pieces with some Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue"

     I didn't feel the highlights were light enough, so I mixed some Americana "Snow White' into the "Cool Blue", and did some more drybrushing for lighter highlights.  Afterwards, I used the "Snow White" to add thin striations all over the pieces to help give the marble look.
     I then painted the bases on the tomb bottoms with Americana "Neutral Grey"; and when dry, I went around the outline of the tomb bottoms with some of the Citadel Shade "Nuln Oil".
      I let the tomb lids and bases dry overnight and the next day I gave them all a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.   When this was dry, I pulled the lids off the tongue depressor,  turned them over, and painted the undersides with the "White".  When this was dry, I applied a coat of the "Ultramarines Blue" to the underside of the lids.  I let the lids dry overnight again, and the next day I gave the undersides a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish as well.   
 Another overnight dry, and I sprayed all the pieces with Testor's Dullcote".    

     I'm really happy with how these turned out.  The splotchy results the Contrast paint usually gives on flat surfaces really served well here to help give the marble look.   

     

4 comments:

  1. Wow, nice marble!

    I'll have to try that Contrast trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marc! I was pleased with how easy it was. I'm interested to try it in different colors now, myself.

      Delete
  2. Nice marble effect! The whole project turned out quite nicely, particularly the change of one of the tombs to a queen.

    ReplyDelete