Monday, May 29, 2017

Undead Outlaw: Bones 2 Figure

    This past week I painted the Undead Outlaw figure from the Bones 2, Savage Worlds set.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     I began by giving the figure a wash with heavily thinned Reaper "Grey Liner" using a wet brush. When the wash was dry, I painted the shirt with Ceramcoat "Opaque Red", and the pants with Reaper MSP "Turkey Brown".  I then painted the skull and exposed bones with Americana "Antique White".
     Next, I painted the duster coat with Americana "Khaki Tan", and then the boots with Americana "Charcoal Grey".   After that, I painted his gloves with Accent "Mustard Seed", and the handle of the gun with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown".
     I then painted the belt and holster with Americana "Terra Cotta", and then let the figure dry for a while.  Afterwards, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash, using a wet brush.  When the wash was dry, I painted the metal parts of the gun with Ceramcoat "Walnut", and his hat, shirt collar, and hair with Black.
     Next, I highlighted the head and other areas of exposed bones with White.  I then highlighted his red shirt with Crafter's Acrylic "Orange Spice", and his pants with Americana "Sable Brown".  I highlighted his boots with Americana "Mississippi Mud", and his hat with "Citadel "The Fang".  After that, I gave the metal parts of his gun a wash with thinned Accent "Golden Oxide" paint; and while that wash was drying I highlighted his duster coat with Americana "Bleached Sand" and his gloves with Folk Art "Butter Pecan".  
     I then painted his buttons with Ceramcoat "Bronze", and then did his belt buckle with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey". I then did a light drybrushing on the metal parts of the gun with the "Gunmetal Grey".
     When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a little sand to the base.  When this was dry, I painted the sand, and the figure's integral base, with the "Charcoal Grey", and when the paint was dry, I drybrushed the base and sand with some Americana "Territorial Beige",  then some of the "Antique White", and lastly the "Bleached Sand".
    I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed him with Testor's Dullcote".
     I'm really happy with how he turned out.  I'm not exactly sure what I will use him for, but it's a fun and cool figure to have in the collection.  And, it's another Bones 2 figure completed as I anxiously wait for my Bones 3 shipping notice.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work, Chris. You have hit a home-run with the multidimensional paint-effect of the knee and rib cage. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jay! I'm really trying to push the envelope with light highlights, so glad to hear you like the effect on the bones.

      Delete
  2. Nice work (as always) and I like the rusty pistol.

    How deep did you go in Bones III? Are you going to be fixed for painting material for the next few years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lasgunpacker! The pistol was kind of a last minute inspiration, so I'm glad you like it. I really like painting rust for some reason, so am always looking for opportunities. :)
      At the rate of a figure a week, yes, I should be good for a while (at least until Bones 4 arrives! ) I got the Core, Stoneskull, and about a half dozen add-ons. Also ordered a couple extra sets of lizardmen.

      Delete