Monday, August 29, 2016

Mangu Timur and Ragnaros, Evil Warrior: Figures 240 & 241 of 266

  This past week I dove into the Dark Heroes set and painted the two knights, Mangu Timur and Ragnaros, Evil Warrior, from that set. Since the way I planned to paint them was so similar I figured I'd just do them at the same time.  I'm also happy to have reached the 240's; it makes my goal seem that much closer. :)
     I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued Mangu Timur to a black primed 1" fender washer, and Ragnaros to a 1.25" black-primed fender washer.  I then glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's glue each.
     I began by painting both figures Black.  I then drybrushed the figure with Accent "Princely Pewter", followed by a light highlight drybrushing with Folk Art "Silver Sterling".
     I then painting the waist hangings and shield on the Mangu Timur with Apple Barrel "Apple Black Green".  I then moved to Ragnaros and painted all the decorative skulls and his shield with Ceramcoat "Opaque Red".  I then painted his horns with Folk Art "Barnyard Red".   Next, I went back to Mangu Timur and painted the decorative details on his waist hangings, shield, as well as the hilt of his sword with Ceramcoat "Raw Sienna".
     I then repainted the parts I had painted with the "Raw Sienna", this time using Ceramcoat "Bronze".  I also repainted all the red skulls on Ragnaros using Dazzling Metallics "Festive Red".  I let the paint dry for a while, after which I gave a wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash using a wet brush to the parts I had just painted with the "Apple Black Green", "Bronze", Opaque Red", "Barnyard Red", and "Festive Red".
          When the wash was dry, I began work on the highlights.  I started on Mangu Timur, highlighting his waist hangings and shield with Apple Barrel "Apple Blue Spruce".  I then highlighted all the parts I had painted "Bronze", using Ceramcoat "14K Gold".  I highlighted his sword with Silver Sterling", and when it was dry, I applied a wash down the center of the sword with Iron Wind Metals "Mid Green" ink using a wet brush.
     I then turned to Ragnaros.  I bean by highlighting his horns with the base "Barnyard Red", and then mixed a little Americana "Terra Cotta" in it to highlight the ends of the horns.  Next, I Highlighted his shield with Americana "Cadmium Red".  I panted the back of his loin hanging, and the claws on his shield with Black, and then added highlights to the Black with Citadel "The Fang".   While I had the Black out, I also painted his sword, an the sword grips on both figures.  Next, I highlighted the skulls I had painted the metallic "Festive Red", using a mix of the "Festive Red" and Americana "Tangerine".   I then repainted his word with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", and then highlighted it with the "Silver Sterling".
     While I had the "Silver Sterling" out, I added specific highlights on each figure where I felt they were needed, then I let everything dry over night.  The next day I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" and, when dry, flocked their bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's Dullcote".


    I'm pleased with how these two knights turned out.   I didn't attempt anything too fancy on them, just did them up for tabletop use.

No comments:

Post a Comment