Monday, March 4, 2019

Behir: Bones 3 Figure

    This past week I painted the Behir figure from the Bones 3 Stoneskull Expansion, as I continue to work my way through the remaining figures I haven't painted yet from that set while waiting for the arrival of Bones 4.  At this point, all I have left are the Kobolds and the big Iron Golem.
         I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking the pieces in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  Next, I assembled the figure using Gorilla Superglue gel.  I then glued the figure to a 3" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue.   In my rush to begin, I forgot to pre-prime the washer; so after I glued the figure on, I painted the washer with a brush on clear primer.   The washer didn't fit in my painting grip, so I hand held the washer for painting.
   
     I began by painting the head and main body with Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue", and then painted the top back portion and the body crest with Americana "Forest Green".  After that, I painted the belly scales with Folk Art "Celadon Green".
     Next, I painted the horns with Americana "Wedgewood Blue", and then painted the mouth with Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Frutti".  I then painted the teeth with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White", and the claws with Reaper MSP "Frosty Blue". 
      At this point, I repainted the main body scales with Folk Art Color Shift "Blue Flash".   I let the figure dry for a while, and then I gave the entire thing a wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.  When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the main body scales with the base "Blue Flash" mixed with a little Folk Art Pearl "Aqua Moire".  I then hit a few individual scales with just the "Aqua Moire".
        Next, I drybrushed the back and body crest with Folk Art "Color Shift "Green Flash", and then drybrushed the belly scales with the base "Celadon Green", and then a little Americana "Snow White".  I then hit each claw with a dab of the "Celadon Green" as well.  After that, I highlighted the legs with a mix of the "Tropical Blue", and Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue".  I worked on the head next, highlighting the mouth with Crafter's Acrylic "Cherry Blossom Pink", and the teeth with the "Snow White".    I then highlighted the horns with Ceramcoat "Denim Blue".  After that, I painted the eyes with Crafter's Acrylic "Margarita " and gave them Black pupils, and then used the Black to paint in the nostrils as well.   Lastly, I painted the entire base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".    When the Dullcote was dry, I painted the eyes with Americana "DuraClear Gloss Varnish".




         I'm really happy how this figure turned out.  I have to say though, the way it corkscrews around and has legs sticking out everywhere, it was a bit of challenge to paint.  This is one that might benefit from being painted disassembled first; or maybe assembled into top and bottom halves before painting.

10 comments:

  1. Really nice! I like the colour transition you got going on the back between the greens and the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is an impressive result. The original figure is a bit hard to make out, but it is rather clearly defined by your paint work. Any chance of an overhead shot? Just curious as to exactly how it swirls about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lasgunpacker! Request granted; I have added an overhead shot. Hope it helps. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, it really is cool dynamic sculpt!

      Delete
  3. This figure never did anything for me when I saw the bones 3.

    Then I saw your paint job and my mind changed.

    ReplyDelete