This week I took a break from working on the sets from the main Vampire Pledge group to work on the Orcpoclypse add-on set. There are four each of five different poses in this set, for a total of 20 figures. I decided to do them in groups of four like figures to speed up the painting process. I also decided to try to do slight modifications to each of the four like figures in attempt to make them look slightly less cookie cutter. In the photo below, the first figure is an unmodified original, the second has the bottom point of the shield cut off and re-glued at the top, the third has it's weapon swapped with the scythe head from the Darkrasp, Evil Priest conversion I did, and the fourth had his arm cut at the forearm wristguard, and repositioned at an downward angle. I had actually painted one of these Mauraders before when I was woking on the original 30 New Bones set back in 2013, so I already had a painting template I could follow.
I prepped these figures in the usual way, washing them in some dish soap, lightly scrubbing them with a soft toothbrush, and then letting them dry. I then did the modifications to them as i outlined in the paragraph above. Next, I glued the four onto black primed 1.25 inch fender washers using Aleene's Tacky glue. I then glued them onto a tongue depressor, for ease of painting, using a couple drops of Elmer's white glue each.
I then thought I'd add some individuality to some of their shields, and painted two of them with Folk Art "True Burgundy"; feathering it towards the Black drybrushed with "Gunmetal Grey" edges, trying to make it look like the paint had been badly worn around the edges.
After everything had dried overnight, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" and, when dry, flocked their bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's Dullcote".
Up next, we start the Dark Elves set.
Figures 194-197: Complete