Thursday, February 25, 2016

Bones II: Town Guard (Anhurian) Spearman

  This week I finished up the last of the Town Guard from the Bones II, Expansion 2, "Town Guard" set, by painting the Spearman figure.  He was destined to provide more fodder for my Frostgrave warbands.
  I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  His spear was all bent out of shape, and I tried the usual Bones boiling water straightening method to get it right again, but to no avail.  While I don't mind a little "wonkiness" in a wizards staff, I felt the spear really needed to be straight.  So, I used a conversion method I had used before on one of the Orcs in the Bones I original set, which was to replace the Bones spear shaft with one made from a round toothpick.  It was no problem slicing off the original shaft, drilling through the hand, and drilling a small indent in the bottom of the spear head, and then gluing it all back together again with Gorilla Superglue.
     I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.  
      I began by painting his face and hands with Americana "Shading Flesh".  I the painted his pants with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna", and his tunic with Folk Art "Dark Brown".
        Next, I painted his quilted jerkin with Citadel "Snakebite Leather", and his shoulder armor with Citadel Foundation "Khemri Brown".
     I then painted his boots and cap with GW "Scorched Brown", and then his belts and straps, and the sword grip, with Ceramcoat "Walnut".  After that, I painted the spear shaft with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and then his hood with Folk Art "Barnyard Red".  I then painted his shield and scabbard with Reaper MSP Bones "Cinnamon Red"
      After everything had a while to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.  When the wash was dry, I paint his eyes, and then did highlights on his face and hands using the base "Shading Flesh".
     I then began work on the rest of the highlighting.  First I highlighted his pants with Crafter's Acrylic "Orange Spice".  I then highlighted his jerkin with the base "Dark Brown", and his tunic with Ceramcoat "Maple Sugar Tan".   I highlighted his shoulder pads with Americana "Khaki Tan", and his hood with the base "Barnyard Red". Next, I used Crafter's Edition "Spice Brown" to highlight his boots and cap, and Americana "Mississippi Mud" to highlight his belts and straps.  I drybrushed his spear shaft with Americana "Sable Brown".
      I then moved to the metallics, painting all the metal parts with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey". I then highlighted them with Folk Art Metallics "Silver Sterling".   Lastly, I applied a spare Space Marine transfer to the shield.
        I painted the base White, and when dry I applied an area of white glue to the base and glued on a small piece of cork and some course sand.   When the glue was dry, I painted the cork and sand Black, then drybrushed the sand and cork with Americana "Neutral Grey". Then drybrushed them with Folk Art "Porcelain Grey". When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" early the next morning.  Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
     I like how the figure turned out.  He'll make a good addition to some wizard's warband.

2 comments: