I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. His spear was all bent out of shape, and I tried the usual Bones boiling water straightening method to get it right again, but to no avail. While I don't mind a little "wonkiness" in a wizards staff, I felt the spear really needed to be straight. So, I used a conversion method I had used before on one of the Orcs in the Bones I original set, which was to replace the Bones spear shaft with one made from a round toothpick. It was no problem slicing off the original shaft, drilling through the hand, and drilling a small indent in the bottom of the spear head, and then gluing it all back together again with Gorilla Superglue.
I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
I then began work on the rest of the highlighting. First I highlighted his pants with Crafter's Acrylic "Orange Spice". I then highlighted his jerkin with the base "Dark Brown", and his tunic with Ceramcoat "Maple Sugar Tan". I highlighted his shoulder pads with Americana "Khaki Tan", and his hood with the base "Barnyard Red". Next, I used Crafter's Edition "Spice Brown" to highlight his boots and cap, and Americana "Mississippi Mud" to highlight his belts and straps. I drybrushed his spear shaft with Americana "Sable Brown".
I then moved to the metallics, painting all the metal parts with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey". I then highlighted them with Folk Art Metallics "Silver Sterling". Lastly, I applied a spare Space Marine transfer to the shield.
I painted the base White, and when dry I applied an area of white glue to the base and glued on a small piece of cork and some course sand. When the glue was dry, I painted the cork and sand Black, then drybrushed the sand and cork with Americana "Neutral Grey". Then drybrushed them with Folk Art "Porcelain Grey". When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish" early the next morning. Midday, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock and late that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
I like how the figure turned out. He'll make a good addition to some wizard's warband.