Thursday, December 10, 2015

Bones II Skeletons and Zombie

  This week I also finished  a couple of the Bones II Skeletons and one of the Zombies for use as wandering creatures in my Frostgrave games.
      I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued the figures to white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then glued the bases of the figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue each.
     I began by painting both skeletons Black.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed them first with Americana "Buttermilk", then with Crafters Acrylic "Light Antique White".
    I then painted the spear shaft and the shield with Americana "Mississippi Mud".  Next, I painted  some decoration on the shield with  Americana "True Blue" and then White, trying to make it look like a lot of the paint had chipped off the wood underneath.  I then gave the spear shaft and the shield a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.  I then painted the swords, spear point and butt, and the straps on the shield with Americana Walnut".  I then added splotches of Crafters Edition "Spice Brown", and then some lighter splotches of  Accent "Golden Oxide" to the sword and spear point and butt to give the impression of rust.  I finished by giving a very light drybrush of Folk Art "Gunmetal Grey" over the rusted metal parts.  Lastly, I painted their rock-like bases with Americana "Neutral Grey", and then drybrushed them with Crafters Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey", and lastly, a light drybrush with Folk Art "Platinum Grey".
       When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figures a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  That afternoon I flocked the base with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock.  The next day, I sprayed the figures with Testor's Dullcote.

    I'm pleased with how these skeletons turned out.  Nothing exciting, but good simple gaming figures.

    Next, I worked on the Zombie.
     I began by painting his skin with GW "Rotting Flesh".  I then painted his tunic with GW "Vermin Brown".  After that, I painted some of his wounds with Folk Art "Burgundy"
        When the paint had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade".

    After the wash had time to dry, I highlighted the tunic with Crafters Edition "Orange Spice". I then painted eyes with Americana "Buttermilk". I then painted some of the other wounds, that had shown themselves after the wash, with Crafters Edition "Christmas Red".  
   Lastly, I painted his base White.  I then applied a little area of white glue to the base and sprinkled some sand on it.   When the glue was dry, I painted the sanded area with Ceramcoat Walnut. Then when it was dry, I drybrushed it with Folk Art "Medium Grey", then Folk Art "Barn Wood". Lastly, I painted a little area at the font of the base with GW "Ice Blue".  When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  Then, the next morning, I flocked the white areas with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock.  Later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.   When the Dullcote was dry,  I painted over the area I had painted with the "Ice Blue" with DecoArt "One Step Crackle" crackle finish paint to give the impression of ice. When it was dry, I drybrushed it lightly with White.

    I'm happy with how the Zombie turned out.  Like the Skeletons, a nice simple functional tabletop figure.


  1. Nice painting. I'm partial to the Bones. Cool sculpts.

    1. Thanks! Yes, I've become rather a Bones fan myself!

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. Sorry to say that Chris, but I think that your Skellies are below par. Do not get me wrong, they probably pass the 3 feet test, but it is below what you usually do.

    The heavy dry brush ended up masking a lot of details on the figs.

    Maybe you should consider doing them this way: Paint them white first (or an off-white color) then a black wash and finally a white dry brush (I usualy do 2 one white, one antique white). It goes pretty fast and I, an untalented newbie painter, got decent results using this technique

    1. Ah, yes. Truth be known, I've never really been happy with my skellies, but it is the way I always did them, so I just stuck with it. Laziness on my part I guess. Thank you for making me confront this painting inadequacy. :)
      I've got three done currently, that I just finished (I was trying to get them done to post this past Thursday, but fell short) with the old method, but I think I will prep up a couple more to try the method you recommend.

  4. You can see the painted mini here. I am partial to it but I think that it looks better :)

    1. Very nice! I'm looking forward to giving it a try.