Monday, December 7, 2015

IMEF Marine, Reggie Van Zandt: Figure 183 of 265

    This week I started on the IMEF Marines set and painted the Gatling-gunner Reggie Van Zandt figure, to test how I wanted to paint the rest of the unit.  Since I had done the NOVA Corp soldiers in a desert style camo, I figured I would do these figures as well, so the two sets could be opponents in a game.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     I began by painting the entire figure with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  I then painted his head with  Crafters Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and his gloves, the straps on the unit on his back, and the helmet gasket around his neck, with Americana "Asphaltum".
    I decided to also paint his knee and elbow pads with the "Asphaltum", and then painted the barrels of the gatling gun with Americana "Khaki Tan".    I then did a camouflage pattern all over his armor as a repeated series of three small dots using first, Folk Art "Porcelain White", then Folk Art "Dark Brown"
        Next, I gave the figure a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade"wash using a wet brush.
      When the wash was dry, I drybrushed all the armor and the gun with Americana "Buttermilk".  I then painted the scarf on his head and the insignia on his armor's chest plate with Black, and highlighted them with Folk Art  "Settlers Blue".  I also painted an insignia on his right shoulder with Crafters Acrylic "Bright Yellow".  Next, I painted his eyes, and then did highlights on his face with Americana "Sable Brown". I then did highlights on the gloves, knee and shoulder pads with Crafters Edition "Spice Brown".  Lastly, I painted his integral base with Ceramcoat Walnut.  
      When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  Then, when that was dry, I spread white glue all over the base, and dunked it in a sand mixture. When the sand mixture on the base was dry, I painted it first with Americana "Charcoal Grey", I then drybrushed it, in succession, with GW "Khemri Brown", Ceramcoat "Raw Sienna", and then the "Buttermilk".  I then glued on a small tuft of purple grass.  The next day, I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
     I'm very pleased with how this figure turned out.   I think its a nice effective simple paint scheme.

Figure 183 of 265: Complete

2 comments: