I prepped it in the usual way; soaking overnight in some water with a couple drops of dish soap added, and then giving a light scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinsing, then drying. As you may remember from previous posts, I ran out of my usual Krylon Flat Black Camouflage with Fusion spray paint a couple weeks ago, and I was unable to find a replacement can of it. (I hope Krylon hasn't stopped making it!) So, I got a can of Krylon regular Flat Black Fusion, which I hoped would be the same as the Camouflage variety, but it turned out it wasn't. I sprayed this peice with it, and as expected, it left it tacky, even after a few days of drying.
I glued the alter to a 1.5 inch by 3/4 inch black-primed metal base, and glued this to a tongue depressor for ease of handling during painting.
In looking at the alter, I decided I didn't want to make it the usual dull grey carved stone. So, I got in my head to do it as black marble, since I felt I had had success painting my Stone Golem as marble.
I began by painting the whole piece with black craft paint to hide the tackiness of the primer.
Next, I drybrushed the skulls with Ceramcoat "14K Gold". I then got out my bottle of Apple Barrel "Apple Maroon", and with my small drybrush I dabbed in a stippling way on top of the altar to add a blood stain. Lastly, I painted the metal base around the alter with Folk Art "Medium "Gray".
When the piece had a few hours to dry, I painted the whole thing with Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish", and when this had dried overnight I sprayed the altar with Testor's "Dullcote"
Figure 93 of 265: Complete