Thursday, May 8, 2014

Rat Swarms: Figures 94 & 95 of 265

    I finished the two Rat Swarms from the Vermin set this week.  Since I was already well supplied with 28mm big rats from the dozen single giant rats that came with the Kickstarter, I decided to re-purpose these for use with my 10mm "Bear Yourselves Valiantly" armies, just like I had done with the Giant Scorpions. And, like the Giant Scorpions, I had to order an additional pair from Reaper to help fill out a unit base.
     I began in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued them to a 3" x 1.5" black-primed steel base with Aleene's Tacky glue.
To start, I painted them all black with regular craft paint.  I then gave them all a drybrushing with Folk Art "Medium Gray", and then followed this with a light drybrush with GW "Fortress Grey"
Next, I picked out two or three on each base and painted them Americana "Asphaltum".  I then carefully gave these brown ones a drybrushing as best I could with Americana "Mississippi Mud"
Lastly, I went back and painted all the little tails, feet, and noses I could discern with Folk Art "Milkshake".  After the rats dried overnight, I painted them with Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  When this was dry, I flocked them (very difficult with all those little tails sticking out everywhere!), and the next day I sprayed the whole stand with Testor's "Dullcote".
I like how these turned out.  I think they make great 10mm Giant Rats.  And, best of all,  they mark the completion of the Vermin Set for me.
Figures 94 & 95: Complete

2 comments: