Thursday, August 1, 2013

Awww, Rats! Figures: 13-24 of 265

  This past week I finished up the dozen Giant Rats included in the "Dungeon Attack" set. A nice quick and simple way to boost my numbers. :-)  I began by gluing the rats to fender washers with Aileene's Tacky glue , and then primered them with with Krylon Camouflage Flat Black with Fusion.  I didn't want to do all plain monotone black rats, so I decided to do half as brown rats, half as black, and one odd one as a white rat to act as a kind of group leader if I should ever need to designate one.
I glued them a half dozen each to a tongue depressor for painting, and for the brown ones I began by giving them a heavy drybrushing of Americana "Charcoal Grey", followed by a lighter drybrushing of GW "Graveyard Earth'.  I then painted the tails, feet, and noses with Americana "Milkshake"; the teeth with Americana "Buttermilk", and the eyes with black.  The bases' stonework I drybrushed with GW "Codex Grey", and then painted odd stones here and there with either GW "Fortress Grey' or Folk Art "Poppyseed". I then painted the remaining surface of the fender washer with the "Codex Grey"
    I did the black rats in a similar manner, except I began by dryrushing the bodies with just the Codex grey. I then finished the tails, feet, noses, teeth, and eyes exactly like I did for the brown rats.  For the white rat I first drybrushed with the "Fortress Grey", and then I drybrushed with pure white.  When I did the tail, feet and nose, I added a little bit of Apple Barrel "Apple Lt. Pink" to the "Milkshake" paint to give it a more pinkish hue. I painted the teeth with the same "Buttermilk" as before, but  the eyes I did with GW "Blood Red" and then added a tiny white dot to them.



   After everything had dried, I panted on a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Lacquer", and then the next morning sprayed with Testor's "Dull Cote".
All in all I'm pleased with these.  It was very quick to finish them, and they came out looking good with minimal effort.
 
Figures 13-24: Complete

6 comments:

  1. Where's Willard? Great job catching up on numbers, I was thinking the other day you was slowing down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed. I was thinking about foregoing the bases on these myself, since the stones they're standing on are pretty serviceable as such. Your numbers are indeed climbing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, they really don't need bases, except I store my figures in boxes lined with magnetic sheeting, so I like to glue them to washers so they stick, and are less likely to get knocked around during transport.

      Delete
  3. Nice one. Are you finding the bones stuff easy enough to work with no that you've done a few?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the Bones are easy enough to work with, though I don't think they'd get me to swear off metal, or hard plastic for that matter. I guess every medium has its own pros and cons. I'm also still very concerned about the long term effects of the Krylon Fusion primer and Testors Dull Cote I've applied. And something else that I've thought about is that I cant imagine leaving these painted figures in a car on a hot afternoon; something I've never had to worry about with my metals or hard plastics.

      Delete