Monday, December 2, 2019

Stone Giant Champion: Bones 4 Lost Valley Figure

 This past week I painted the Stone Giant Champion from the Bones 4 Lost Valley Expansion.  Readers may remember that I had painted the Stone Giant Guard back in September, and for this one I figured for the most part I'd just copy how I had done that one.
I had forgotten to take a picture of the figure before I started, so here's a shot of the model from one of the Kickstarter updates.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.   Then, after trimming the figure's integral base a little, I glued the figure to a black-primed 2" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then used some Elmer's glue to glue it to the top of a pill bottle. I used some green stuff epoxy putty to help blend the trimmed integral base to the washer.
     Then, shortly after beginning, I realized that the buttons on her dress looked faceted, like they were meant to be gemstones; so I decided rather than try and paint them as such, I was going to try and replace them with actual craft gems.  So they got sliced off with a hobby knife.
     The first painting I did was to paint his skin, using an equal mix of part Crafters Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey" and Folk Art "Milkshake".  I then painted her dress with Citadel "The Fang", and then did the handle of her rock-pick looking weapon with Americana "Light Cinnamon".
          Next, I painted her shoes, belts and straps with Americana "Charcoal Grey", and then I painted the strings holding the object to her right calf, and holding the skull on her left hip, using Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  I then painted the two bands on her upper arms and her necklace with Accent "Golden Harvest", and the two wrist bands with Accent "Mustard Seed". After that, I painted he two rune stones hanging from her belts with Americana "Burgundy Wine", painted the basket at her hip with Reaper MSP "Golden Brown", and painted the skull with Folk Art "Butter Pecan". I moved on to painting the sheath of the dagger on her right thigh with Americana "Asphaltum", and the grip with the "Mustard Seed"; followed with painting the icon(?) on her calf with Reaper MSP HD "Rich Indigo".
     I then painted all the metal bits with Americana "Zinc", and I painted the inside of the mouth with Americana "Shading Flesh".  I felt at first glance it looked like her tongue was extended, so I painted it that way with the "Shading Flesh".  I put the figure aside to dry for a while, then when I came back I gave the entire thing a coat of Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash. 
       When the wash was dry, I painted the eyes, and then highlighted the skin with some of the base "Milkshake" mixed with the "Storm Cloud Grey", and added a bit of the lighter Americana "Dove Grey" for the lighter highlights.
     Next, I highlighted her dress, using the base "The Fang" mixed with Folk Art "Cloudy Day". After that, I highlighted all her belts and straps using the base "Charcoal Grey" mixed with some Americana "Mississippi Mud", and I highlighted the basket at her hip using Ceramcoat "Maple Sugar Tan".
     I then highlighted the skull, first with Americana "Antique White", and then Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".   Next, I highlighted the icon strapped to her calf using a bit of the "Rich Indigo" mixed with some Americana "Snow White".  I did the dagger then, highlighting the sheath with the "Territorial Beige", and the grip with some of the "Maple Sugar Tan" mixed with the base "Mustard Seed".  I also used this mix to highlight the wrist bands.  After that, I worked on the icons hanging from her belts, highlighting them with the base "Burgundy Wine" mixed with some of the "Snow White".   I then highlighted the handle of her rock-pick using Americana "Sable Brown"
      Now it was time for the metallics.  I painted the arm bands and necklace with Folk Art "Brushed Metal "Brushed Bronze", and when dry, I went over them doing highlights with Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold".  I then painted the head of the rock-pick, the buckles and all the various studs, with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", and when dry, highlighted everything with Citadel "Mithril Silver". Lastly, I painted the base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".  When the "Dullcote" was dry, I used Gorilla Supeglue to affix a trio of tiny nail gems to the studs on her dress.



     In general I'm pretty happy with her.  I don't like the way her eyes came out, but you get to a point after messing around with them for an extended period of time that you just have to concede defeat and move on.  :P

4 comments:

  1. Those studs on the buttons really look great! I esspecially like the colour combination with the blue on the surrounting textile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, XE! Yes, I was pleasantly surprised with how well they ended up looking.

      Delete
  2. I'll second the praise for the gemstones. I'll use those nail gems myself sometime. Great skin colouration as well.
    This is another expansion I wish I'd got

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, misterc! Glad you like the skin; I was going for something grey but with a hint of warmth and pink in it.

      Delete