Monday, May 20, 2019

Part 2- Nagendra (Snake Cultist) Heroes and Shaman: Bones 4 Figures

     This past week I painted my remaining Snakemen figures: two Hero/Leader types and a Shaman, from the Bones 4 Core Nagendra Set.  Last week I painted the 8 Swordsmen, Glaivesmen and Archers from the two 6-figure Nagendra sets I ordered in the Kickstarter.
       I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying. I didn't want to have two dual sword wielders, as I only needed one to represent a Leader for the unit; so I cut the left sword arm off of one of the figures and replaced it with a spare shield arm from a Bones Gnoll, using Gorilla Superglue gel.  I then glued the figures to 1" black-primed fender washers with some of the Gorilla Superglue Gel glue.  I then glued the two sword figures to a tongue depressors, and the shaman to a separate one, with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue each.
New shield arm added.
   Like the previous figures, I first gave these a base coat with Krylon Camouflage with Fusion "Woodland Light Green" to give better opacity to the green paint I would be using.
Oops, I forgot to take a "beginning" picture of these two before I started applying paint!

      I began by painting their bodies with Americana "Festive Green", and their belly scales with Americana "Margarita".  After that, I painted the unscaled portions of their arms with Crafters Acrylic "Wild Green".

      Next, I painted their belts with Accent "Mustard Seed", and the back of the shield with Crafter's Acrylic "Navy Blue".  I then painted their shield, armor, sword hilts, and belt buckles with Folk Art Burnished Metal "Burnished Bronze", and their sword blades with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  After that, I painted the straps on their shield with Americana "Light Cinnamon".
      Like above, for the Shaman I painted the belt, and the dagger sheath, with Accent "Mustard Seed".  I then painted her robe with Ceramcoat "Black", and when dry, repainted it with  Folk Art Color Shift "Black Flash".   Next, I did the trim on the robe with Reaper MSP Bones "Cinnamon Red" and the dagger grip with Ceramcoat "Walnut".  After that, I painted the pouch on her belt with the "Light Cinnamon", and the ball of flame with Crafter's Acrylic "Cool Blue".
  After everything had dried for a while I gave the figures a complete wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash, except for their sword blades.  When the wash was dry, I drybrushed their body scales with the base "Festive Green", and then some of the "Festive Green" mixed with some Reaper MSP Bones "Dungeon Slime".  Next, I highlighted the belly scales with the base "Margarita", and then with some of the "Margarita" mixed with some Americana "Snow White".  After that, I highlighted the scaleless parts of the arms with the base "Wild Green".

      Next, I gave their sword blades a wash with some thinned Iron Wind Metals "Mid Blue" Ink, and then highlighted the belts, and dagger sheath with the base "Mustard Seed".  I then highlighted the shield straps with the base "Light Cinnamon.    After that, I highlighted the shield, armor, sword hilts, dagger fittings, and belt buckles with Ceramcoat "14K Gold".  By now the ink wash on the sword and glaive blades had dried, and I highlighted them with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".
     On the shaman, I highlighted her robes with a mix of the "Black Flash", some Folk Art Color Shift "Blue Flash", and a little Folk Art Pearl "Aqua Moire".   After that, I highlighted the trim on the robe with Ceramcoat "Opaque Red".  Next, I worked on the ball of flame.  I realized I shouldn't have given it the wash with the "Nuln Oil", so I repainted it with the "Cool Blue".  When that was dry, I gave it a coat of thinned Americana "Snow White".  When the "Snow White" was dry, I drybrushed the flame, and the surrounding parts of the figure (to give an Object Source Lighting OSL effect), with the "Cool Blue".  After that, I  touched up the flames with some Crafter's Acrylic "Tropical Blue", and did final flame highlights with Americana "True Blue".
     I finished up by painting all their eyes with Reaper MSP "Holly Berry".
       I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's "Dullcote".



      I'm really happy with how these figures turned out.  I especially surprised myself with the blue flame and OSL.  I'm never quite sure what I'm doing with light, fire, and OSL, and it always seems overdone when I'm actually painting; but I'm really pleased with how the Shaman turned out in the photos.
   And here's a photo of the whole group of Nagendra Snakemen:


6 comments:

  1. great work! The OSL turned out well, and the red cloak is set off nicely by the green flesh. The whole group is great too! Just the sort of thing to send a shiver in the back of your adventurers. Although with a few more conversions you could have naga adventurers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lasgunpacker! I was thinking that same thing as I was painting them; that they'd make a pretty awesome adventuring group themselves. :)

      Delete
    2. Exactly! And you could turn a two sword guy into a two dagger thief with a cloak, the archer into a ranger with a cloak, and I am sure you could get a cleric in pretty easily too.

      Delete
    3. All great ideas!
      Also, the shaman comes pre-cloaked, so that figure would be great fodder for the thief or ranger with suitable arm transplants.

      Delete
  2. Great use of shades and the OSL! And quite a veritable warband now that they are all together. I really like the red cloth on the shaman as well - makes her stand out nicely.

    ReplyDelete