This past week I moved on to the next figure in the Bones 3 Wild West Wizard of Oz set: the Lion. This is clearly supposed to be a "not-Hellboy" figure, so I'm not sure why Reaper decided to rebrand him as the Oz Lion. I guess he fills the bill well enough; though I can't say there is anything particularly "lion-y" about him. So, I decided to at least try to paint him up in lion-ish colors; keeping to yellows, tans, and tawny shades.
These figures were actually cast in the newer grey Bones material, and are a bit stiffer than normal Bones.
To see the figures from this set that I have already finished, see: Tin Man, and Scarecrow.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
Next, I highlighted his undershirt with Reaper MSP "Holly Berry", and then his shirt with Americana "Bleached Sand". I then highlighted his pants with a mix of the original "Apple Maple Sugar", and Americana "Antique White", and his coat with a mix of Reaper MSP "Ginger Cookie", and the "Bleached Sand". After that, I highlighted his boots, belts, holsters, and suspenders with Americana "Sable Brown". I then moved to the metallics, highlighting his power fist with Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold", and his pistol with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver". Lastly, I painted the figure's integral base with Americana "Charcoal Grey".
When I was done painting the figure, I used some white glue to glue a mixture I made of some fine brown sand, and courser black sand to the base. When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand and the figure's own base with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige", and then with some Americana "Antique White". When dry, I glued on some bits of grass tufts.
I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".
I also wanted to remind folks that the Bones 4 Kickstarter is now in it's last 5 days! So pledge now, and pledge often! :) Just click here: Reaper Bones 4