Monday, July 3, 2017

Jurden, Half-Orc Paladin: Bones 3 Figure

     This past week I painted Jurden, Half-Orc Paladin , from the Bones 3 Heroes I Set.   A few weeks ago I had used him as one of my first test weapon-swap figures, and I thought it was about time I actually painted one of them.  In looking at this figure, there wasn't anything particularly orc-ish about it, so I decided to just paint it as a regular human.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
      I began by painting almost the entire figure with Black, being careful not to get any on the clear blade.   When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the figure with  Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  I then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver"
      I used the Black again at that point to paint the back of the shield. I painted his head with Americana "Shading Flesh", and while that dried, I painted his tabard and the front of his shield with Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Blue".  I then went back to the head and went over it with some very slightly thinned Americana "Asphaltum".
      I then painted his eyes, and did his hair Black with Americana "Zinc" and  Americana "Grey Sky" highlights. After that I did the highlights on his face with a mix of the "Shading Flesh" and the Asphaltum".  I also carefully painted the hilt of the clear sword with Black at this point.  Next, I painted his clerical stole, scabbard, and the bull's head on his shield with Ceramcoat "Black Cherry", and then highlighted his tabard and the edges of his shield with some Reaper MSP Bones "Tropical Blue".   I then went back and highlighted his stole, scabbard,  and the bull's head on his shield with Crafter's Acrylic "Christmas Red, and painted the eyes on the bull's head on his shield with White.
     Next, I painted the crown on his shield, the small bull's head-like clasp on his front armor, the ends of his stole, and the hilt of his raised sword with Accent "Golden Harvest".  Then I painted the grip of his sheathed sword, and the strap on his shield with Americana "Raw Umber". After that, I went back and re-painted the crown on his shield, the small bull's head-like clasp on his front armor, the ends of his stole, and the hilt of his sword with Ceramcoat "Bronze".  I mixed some of the "Black Cherry", and some Ceramcoat "14K Gold", and tried to paint a bit of a paisley pattern on his stole.  I then used some Ceramcoat "Wedding Gold" to highlight the crown on his shield, the small bull's head-like clasp on his front armor, the ends of his stole, and the hilt of his sword.  After that, I used some of the "Metallic Silver" to go back over the figure and do some specific highlight painting on his armor.  I finished work on him by painting highlights on the sheathed sword grip, and the shield's strap using Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown".
     Lastly, I painted the figure's integral base with Ceramcoat "Walnut".
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish, being careful not to get any on the sword blade. When dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed him with Testor's Dullcote". Before spraying though, I taped a piece of folded paper over the sword blade to protect it from the spray paint.

    Well, I have to declare my first painted weapon-swapped figure to be a big success.   I'm really happy with the way this guy came out; and I think the crystal look of the sword was worth the extra effort it took to keep paint off it during the whole process.

6 comments:

  1. That clear sword is a nice effect, although as you mention a lot of work to protect it during all the stages!

    The bull eyes seem like they should be darker, like black or dark blue, the white seems a bit too stark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lasgunpacker! In retrospect I realized I could have painted the mini first, and then glued in the sword and finished painting the hilt and hand. But I often find the most complicated way to do things. :)

      I wanted the Bull to look like it was the diety, or some sort of holy symbol, so thought the white eyes would give it more of a glowing-from-with holy look, and not just like a regular old bull's head. Maybe I should have run with the glow idea more, and added a bit of light effect on the head around them.

      Delete
    2. That should be "glowing-from-within"

      Delete
    3. You could still do a rim of color to make the white stand out more, and maybe a gloss coat to make it shine a bit compared to the rest of the mini.

      Delete