Monday, July 24, 2017

Klaus Copperthumb, Dwarf Thief

   This past week I painted the Klaus Copperthumb, Dwarf Thief, figure from theBones 3 Dwarves set.   I have a Frostgrave warband of Dwarves that I never quite finished, that began with a couple Dwarf figures from Bones 2 as the Thaumaturge Wizard and Apprentice.  I had been waiting for all the Dwarves in Bones 3 to help fill out the missing soldiers in the group, and selected this figure to start with, to be one of the warband's Thieves.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
          I began by giving the figure a wash with heavily thinned Reaper "Grey Liner" using a wet brush.  When that was dry, I painted his face with Games Workshop "Dwarf Flesh".  I then painted his cape with Americana "Zinc", and his pants with Americana "Charcoal Grey".
     Next, I painted his undershirt with Americana "Mississippi Mud", and his tunic with Crafter's Acrylic "Navy Blue". I then did all his leather equipment and boots with Black and after that, painted the boot tops with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna".
    After that I painted the hair and mustache with Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate", and the handles of his axes with Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown".  Then, there were also some small bags/pouches on his belt that I painted with Americana "Khaki Tan".   I let everything dry for a while, then I gave the figure's face and hair a wash with some Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" using a wet brush.  I let that dry, and then I gave the rest of the figure a wash with some Citadel "Nuln Oil" using a wet brush as well.
     When the wash was dry, I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his skin with a mix of Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh", and the base "Dwarf Flesh".  I then highlighted his hair and mustache with the "Teddy Bear Brown".  Next, I did highlights on his cape with Crafter's Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey", and his tunic with Ceramcoat "Denim Blue".  I then highlighted all his black leather parts and boots with Citadel "The Fang", followed by his undershirt with Americana "Khaki", and his boot tops with Americana "Terra Cotta".  After that, I highlighted his axe handles with Americana "Sable Brown, and the little bags/pouches with Americana "Antique White"
     I then did the metallics, painting his axe heads with with  Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey"and then applying highlights with Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".
   Lastly, I painted the figure's integral base with Black.  When the Black was dry, I drybrushed the bases with some Apple Barrel "Rock Grey", and then some Folk Art "Platinum Grey".
    I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".

    I am happy with how this fellow came out.  He'll be a great addition to my Dwarf warband.

No comments:

Post a Comment