Monday, October 17, 2016

Owlbear: Figure 254 of 266

     I took a break from working on the Grave Danger set this past week, and painted up the single-figure Owlbear set for today's post. Being a single-figure set, it now joins the list of completed sets, over on the right.
     I forgot to take a picture of the figure before I started surgery on it, so I'm using the photo from the Reaper site.  I was not a fan of how the figure was positioned with the whole body and head turned almost completely sideways.  I thought it was a rather awkward pose.
     So to fix this, I thought I would simply cut the figure above the ankle, and rotate the body in a more pleasing position.   First though, I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.
   Since his weight wouldn't be resting on his right claw anymore, I drilled holes in his ankle and leg, to insert a paperclip-wire pin to help hold the figure, which would now be supported by the single ankle point, in an upright position. I then glued the base to a 2" fender washer using Aleene's Tacky glue.
     When the base glue was dry, I glued the leg and pin all back together with Gorilla superglue, and got ready to paint.
    I began by painting the outer body, upper wings, and legs, all with Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate".  I then painted the underbelly, and the underside of the wings, with Accent "Mustard Seed".  After that, I painted the beak with Accent "Golden Harvest", and then painted the claws and talons with a 50/50 mix of the "Golden Harvest" and Americana "Neutral Grey".
      I painted the tongue with Apple Barrel "Burnt Sienna"; and then when everything had a chance to dry for a while, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthsahde" using a wet brush.
     After the wash had dried, I drybrushed the darker outer part of the body with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and then Americana "Sable Brown".  I then drybrushed the lighter underside parts with Ceramcoat "Maple Sugar Tan".
     I then painted the outer edge of the eyes with Ceramcoat "Opaque Red", and then painted the inner part of the eye with Crafter's Acrylic "Pure Pumpkin".  I finished the eyes by adding Black pupils.  Next, I highlighted the tongue with Americana "Shading Flesh", and then highlighted the beak with Crafter's Edition "Bright Yellow". After that I highlighted the claws and talons with Folk Art "Gray Green", followed with lighter highlights using Folk Art "Porcelain White".  Lastly, I painted his integral base with Ceramcoat "Walnut".
           I let the figure dry over night and the next day I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". When dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".  When the "Dullcote" was dry, I went back and painted his eyes with Americana "DuraClear Gloss" Varnish.

              I like how this figure turned out; and best of all, with no clothing, weapons, or accoutrements to paint, he went really quickly. :)


  1. I like the reconfiguring of this miniature a lot.

    1. Thanks, WQRobb! I wasn't sure how it would look when I committed to slicing its ankle, so I'm glad you feel it looks good.

  2. Not my favorite owlbear sculpt, bit you improved it quite a bit with the repose.

    1. Thanks, Lasgunpacker! I agree that it isn't a great sculpt from a pose standpoint. I'm glad to hear you think my change improved it.