Monday, October 31, 2016

Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard: Figure 258 of 266, or the 2nd of 10 Figures Remaining

   Over the weekend I finished up Elliwyn Heatherlark, Gnome Bard, from the Half-Sized Heroes set. I have already painted a couple figures from this set before, so there are only this figure, and one more left to go in this set.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     I began by giving the figure a wash with Reaper "Brown Liner" using a wet brush.  This was to help bring out the details so I could see them better.  I then painted the chainmail with Black, and then drybrushed it with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey". I then went back and drybrushed on some light highlights with Folk Art "Silver Sterling".    Next, I painted her face with GW "Vermin Brown", and her leggings with Accent "Golden Oxide".
     I then painted her tabard with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and the sleeves of her undershirt with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige". After that, I painted her boots with Americana "Asphaltum".
      Next, I used Americana "Raw Umber",  to paint her straps, backpack, sword grip, and pouches. I then painted her gloves, and the fur trim on her boots, with Folk Art "Barn Wood".  After that, I painted her hair with Folk Art "Platinum Grey". Then, after everything had a while to dry, I gave the figure a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush, and carefully avoiding the chainmail parts.
      When the wash was dry, I highlighted her hair with White.  I then painted her eyes, and then  highlighted her face with Americana "Terra Cotta".  Next, I mixed a little of the "Cinnamon Brown, and some Americana "Sable Brown", and highlighted her tabard. After that I painted her sword blade, and the back of her shield with Americana "Neutral Grey",  and then painted the face of her shield with Ceramcoat "Opaque Red".   I then painted the metal parts on her sword hilt, her horn, and her belt buckle with Apple Barrel "Apple Maple Syrup".
     Next, I highlighted her leggings with a mix of the "Golden Oxide" and the "Apple Maple Syrup", and I highlighted her gloves and boot tops with Americana "Bleached Sand" I painted the shield straps with Folk Art "Dark Brown", and then used that color to highlight her boots, straps pouches and backpack. I noticed there was something sticking from her backpack at that point; I think it was possibly meant to be another horn, but I decided to paint it like a scroll (perhaps rolled up sheet music), so I painted it with some Americana "Buttermilk", and did some quick "Bleached Sand" highlights.
     I then painted a musical note on her shield using Americana "Yellow", and highlighted with Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow". After that, I went back and painted the sword hilt, horn, belt buckle, and the broach at her neck with Ceramcoat "Bronze" and then did highlights with Ceramcoat "14K Gold".  Then I painted her sword blade, and the buckles on her backpack, with the "Gunmetal Grey", and highlighted with the "Silver Sterling".  I went back and added gems to her belt and sword hilt using the "Opaque Red", and added little White highlights.  Lastly, I painted her integral base with Ceramcoat "Walnut".
           I let the figure dry over night and the next day I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". When dry, I flocked the base. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".

     I like how she turned out, though I really don't think having a horn makes her particularly look like a bard to me.  She looks more like a fighter in my opinion.

Figure 258 of 266: Complete

8 figures left.

4 comments:

  1. Great work on one of my favorite (as of yet un-purchased) figures!

    and in my on again/off again pathfinder campaign, I play a bard paladin who sings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lasgunpacker!

      A singing bard paladin sounds pretty cool!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Always good to see how some paint their bones up. Solid paint job as usual.

    ReplyDelete