Monday, August 18, 2014

Danar, Male Assassin: Figure 106 of 265

This week I painted the Danar, Male Assassin figure from the 30 New Bones Set.   I had already painted the Female Assassin figure earlier in a black and dark blue scheme, figuring it was a good combination for someone who crept around in the shadows, so I definitely wanted to try something different than black and blue again.   I decided I would try a more "urban camouflage" look for this figure, something good for sneaking around a castle or a town; and so decided on a more gray and black scheme, with the added detail of doing a stonework pattern on his cloak, so he can easily blend into shadowy walls.
     I began my preparation of this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue.
I began by painting the pants legs and his sleeves with  Duncan "Slate Grey".   Then I painted the cape with Americana "Dove Grey".
Next, I painted a stone work pattern on the cloak, alternating two colors: Folk Art "Medium Gray" and Folk Art "Poppy Seed"
     I now gave the whole figure a wash with thinned black ink, but I hadn't let the stonework pattern dry long enough, so some of it got a little mottled and the edges became less defined.   I tried to fix it as best I could, and being as it's camouflage, a little irregularity doesn't look to bad; but it was a good lesson for me in patience.  After the ink had a good long time to dry, I painted his studded jerkin, boots, wrist guards, belt, and sword grips with black.
I then went over all the parts I had just painted black and drybrushed them with GW "Shadow Grey". Next, I painted his face and hands with Americana "Shading Flesh". His sword and dagger I painted with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter".
Now I gave his flesh a wash with thinned Winsor-Newton Peat Brown ink.  I then went and added highlights to his pants and sleeves with the base "Slate Grey", and I highlighted his cloak with the "Medium Grey" and "Poppy Seed".  I painted in his eyes, and then highlighted his face and hands with the base "Shading Flesh".  Lastly, I added highlights to the weapons with Folk Art "Silver Sterling".  I then painted the base around his feet with Americana "Asphaltum to cover the bare white before flocking.  The figure now sat overnight, and the next morning I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  When this had several hours to dry, I flocked the base, and the next day I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote" spray paint.
Overall I am pleased with how this figure came out.  It's a very simple figure, and I think the added detail on the cloak gives it a nice special twist.
  It looks like I will have another quick figure done for Thursday, so tune in then.

Figure 106 of 265: Complete


  1. Cool camouflage concept for the cloak.

  2. Thank you Chris for documenting and sharing your work with us. I went in on the Reaper Bones Kickstarter as a way to get back into miniature painting after a 20+ year hiatus and your blog has been invaluable to me.

    As fate would have it, after practicing on a few of the sci-fi minis that were included (and not checking your blog for about a month), I chose this Assassin this past week to paint as my first 'serious' effort as he is needed as a PC in an upcoming campaign. Today, after finding out you just recently pained him too, I am floored to discover that we used almost the exact same color scheme! Of course I wasn't as crafty, imaginative, or courageous as you to paint a camo pattern on his cloak but I take comfort in realizing that my mind is at least humming with the same type of concepts as an accomplished painter like yourself.

    Anyway, thanks again for the tutorials and great work!

    1. Jason-
      Thanks for your kind remarks regarding my painting and blogging efforts. I'm glad to hear they have been an asset to you!

      One of the things I like about the Bones Kickstarter, is with 200+ minis to play with it really allows me a lot of opportunity to let my imagination run wild, and to experiment with crazy painting scheme ideas. Considering they ended up costing less than a dollar each, if something doesn't turn out, it's not a loss of a big investment.