Before getting into today's blog entry, I wanted to take care of a little bit of bookkeeping. It always bothered me a little, after trading my "Bones I" Griffon figure away at Historicon '13 (See notations on figure total amounts on the top right column), that I wouldn't in fact end up painting all the "Bones I" Kickstarter figures; since I no longer owned that one figure. So, I finally rectified that problem over the holidays, and ordered a new Bones Griffon from Reaper. I am now adding this figure back into the count, so my new total for this blog will be 266 figures. These changes have been marked over in the top of the right hand column, and will be reflected in the figure countdown in each new figure article's title.
Now, back to our regularly scheduled blogging! :)
This week I continued to work on the Bedevilled set, and painted the Vaeloth, Hellborn Paladin figure. Since I did the ice-devil blue-themed paint scheme on last week's figure, I though I would go for a more conventional red fire-themed paint job on this week's.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
Next, I painted the sword blade with Folk Art "Gunmetal Grey". I then painted the top of the shield and the metal on the sword hilt with Ceramcoat "Bronze". I then went back and highlighted the sword blade with Folk Art "Silver Sterling", and then did highlights on the shield top and sword hilt with Cermacoat "14K Gold".
When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". Then, the following day, I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote. Later that evening, I painted over the section of base I had earlier painted "Pure Pumpkin", with Distress "Black Soot" crackle paint. I also, while the crackle paint was still wet, put a piece of black gravel in the wet paint to look like a large chunk of volcanic rock. I set this aside for a day for the crackle paint to dry. When it had dried, I very lightly drybrushed it with the "Tangerine" paint.
Figure 191 of 266: Complete