This week I completed Mason Thornwarden from the Heroes Set. Only two Heroes from the set left to do. Most importantly though, this figure marks another great milestone as I now only have 100 figures left to complete. My goal is to get those done before the Bones 3 Kickstarter ships.
When I began painting this figure I assumed he was an elf, (just like last week's elf ranger) and I decided to paint him in real bold garish Wood Elf colors using bright greens and yellows. It was until about halfway through that I realized his long chin was in fact a goatee, meaning he was most likely a human. So, now I have a very brightly dressed human archer. But, hey, why not.
I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying. I then glued the figure to a 1" black-primed fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's White Glue.
This is another nice dynamic sculpt, and just like last week's figure, it has a bit of loss of detail on the sides of the legs.
When the paint had a few hours to dry, I went back and gave the entire figure a wash with Winsor-Newton "Peat Brown" Ink using a wet brush.
I then highlighted his under tunic with the base "Wild Green" with a little White added, and his jerkin with some Apple Barrel "Maple Brown Sugar". Next, I highlighted his shirt with DecoArt "Holiday Green". His cloak I highlighted first with DecoArt "Daffodil Yellow" and then Apple Barrel "Lemon Chiffon". His forearm guards, leggings, and quiver I all highlighted with the "Sable Brown". His pants I used the base "Khaki" to do the highlights, and on the bow I used the base "Grey Green". The arrow shafts I highlighted with the base "Barn Wood", and the fletchings I highlighted with the base "White". I then took some Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter" and painted his buckles. Lastly, I painted his white base with Ceramcoat "Walnut"
After the figure had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". That afternoon I flocked the bases, and the next morning I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote" spray varnish.
Figure 165 of 265: Complete
On to the last 100!