Monday, April 27, 2015

NOVA Corp Soldiers: Figures 147 - 150 of 265

     This week I decided to finish up the NOVA Corp set that I had started two weeks ago; and set out to complete all four remaining figures at one time. The NOVA set now joins the list of completed sets over on the right, and I celebrate the milestone of now having completed 150 figures. The next goal will be when I hit the 100-remaining-figure mark.
     With the previous NOVA Corp figure I had worked on, I had tested my idea  to paint them in a sort of chameleon armor,  making it look the same as I paint my usual rocky desert-like bases.  In other words, painting the figure and base as one. I planned to do the same thing with these four figures
      I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued the figures to black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue,  When they were dry, I gave the washers and figures' bases a brush on coat of Elmer's white glue, and dunked them into a course sand mix.   When the sand mix had dried, I glued the figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue each.
      I began by painting the each figure, and the sand base, completely with Americana "Charcoal Grey".
       I then gave the figures and bases a drybrushing with GW Khemri Brown.
     When the "Khemri Brown" was dry, I followed up with a drybrushing the figures and bases with Ceramcoat "Raw Sienna".
     Lastly, I gave the four figures and bases a lighter drybrushing with Americana "Buttermilk". 
       I now painted the head of the officer with Americana "Mocha". I painted his hair with DecoArt "Cinnamon Brown", and his headset with Ceramcoat "Walnut".  When these had dried, I gave the head a wash with GW "Agrax Earthshade" wash using a wet brush.  When the wash had dried, I went back and added eyes, with Black sockets, White whites, and  Black pupils.  I then did highlights on his head with the base "Mocha".
      I then moved on to paint their goggles with Accent "Real Umber", and added some small reflective light highlights to the goggles with White paint.  I then painted some of the assorted straps, breathing tubes, and ammo magazine with Folk Art "Butter Pecan".  Lastly I painted the guns' muzzles black, and a small insignia on their right shoulders with Folk Art "Tomato Red".
   I'm pleased with how this group came out. (I added the Female soldier I did two weeks ago back in to the photo above.)  Not sure what I'm going to do with them though... Do I really need to start a whole 28mm Sci-Fi project just to find a home for the handful of Sci-Fi soldiers that came with the Kickstarter?? :)

Figures 147 - 150: Complete

4 comments:

  1. Nice one.

    As for their use, get together with your HAWK friends, everyone must provide 5 Sci-Fi minis. Then get a bunch of kids and make them play the SBH Sci-Fi game or Five Parsecs/Five Core (my personnal favorite). Then at the end the they get to keep the figs or can trade them between themselves. You could even paint two factions per kid so that they get a starting set or use toys from a dollar store or Lego figs.

    This may help get some kids into wargaming that do not want/can't handle huge armies. I know that when I started playing W40K back in the days, I had no interest in painting and did not want to invest too much money, so I would have loved to have cheaper/better alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly enough, we did something similar this past weekend...a few of us got together and Buck Surdu and I threw our assorted Sci-Fi figures on the table and had a quick fun game using his underdevelopment G.A.M.E.R. skirmish rules:
      http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2015/05/another-armies-for-kids-painting-day.html

      Doing a kids game with smaller forces is a neat idea. We will have to do something like that for our Armies for Kids effort one year.

      Delete