Friday, August 29, 2014

Harpy: Figure 109 of 265

     I was able to squeeze in painting the Harpy figure from the 30 New Bones Set this week.  So, I am happy to announce that I have completed painting the  30 New Bones Set!  It will now be listed over on the right in the "Completed Sets" section.
        I had prepped this figure a while back in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying.  This is another of those figures that  I had sprayed with the Krylon with Fusion Flat Black, back when I was still using spray primer.   I glued him to a 1" black-primed fender washer base with Aleene's Tacky glue. I let this dry and then glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's white glue
I began by drybrushing the whole figure with Folk Art "Medium Grey". I then mixed some Folk Art "Milkshake" into some of the "Medium Grey", and began blending this pinkish-grayish color with the drybrushed areas at her waist and hands. I then switched over to a more primarily "Milkshake" colored blend, with less of the "Medium Grey", and worked towards her upper chest and head.  By the time I painted her chest and head, I was using pure "Milkshake".  I then mixed up some more blended "Milkshake and "Medium Grey" and heavily drybrushed her feet and hands with this mixture
  I now painted all her claws and the horns on her wings with Folk Art "Gray Green".  Then I painted her wrist guard with Ceramcoat "Raw Sienna", and the ribbon tied around her other arm with Folk Art "Barnyard Red".  The bracelet on her wrist I painted with Ceramcoat "Bronze".  When all this had dried, I gave the figure a wash with thinned GW "Agrax Earthshade" Wash.
  When the wash had dried, I went back and added drybrushed highlights with Duncan "Slate Grey" to her wings, hair, legs and tail. I highlighted her horns and claws with the base "Gray Green", and her skin with the base "Milkshake".  I also added highlights to her wrist guard, ribbon, and bracelet with those base colors as well.  I painted on nipples with the "Medium Grey" with "Slate Grey" highlights. Lastly, I pained in her eyes with Americana "Buttermilk" with black pupils.
     When everything had dried overnight, I painted the figure with a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  I let this dry a few hours and then flocked the base.  The next morning I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote" spray paint.
  I'm pleased with how she came out. I think she looks suitably "monsterish".  I'm also happy to have finally completed the large thirty figure "30 New Bones" set.  Whew!

Figure 109 of 265: Complete


  1. Congrats on finishing the "New 30" set from Bones I, and in time for Bones II no less!

    Also, I really like the skin tone you went with for the Harpy; I think the ashen gray works well for the figure.

    1. Thanks! I probably one of the few people that was happy to hear that Bones II was running behind schedule. :) I'd reLly like to at least hit the halfway mark before that big box hits my door.

      And I'm glad to hear yo like the skin color. That Folk Art "Milkshake" is really becoming my go-to color for any kind of evil sickly doesn't-get-a-lot-of-sun type of flesh. It has just the right combo of pink, tan, and gray in it. I also used it on the Satheras the Warlock figure where I think it had a good effect.