Thursday, June 27, 2019

Fungal Handmaiden: Bones 4 Darkreach Figure.

     This past week I also painted the Fungal Handmaiden from the Bones 4 Darkreach Expansion set.   I'm considering an "Island of the Living Mushrooms" scenario for our Ghost Archipelago campaign, and wanted to start working on the Mushroom folk from the Darkreach set.  I didn't want to jump right in with the big Queen figure until I worked out exactly how I wanted to paint these.  I had seen someone on the Reaper Forum who had done their mushrooms in very pale muted colors, and I wanted to try for something a little like that as well.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying.   I then glued the figure to a black primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then set the washer in my painting grip.
     I was planning on doing this figure in a series of washes, so I began by painting the entire figure with Americana "Snow White"
     I then gave the "clothing" a wash with very thinned Ceramcoat "Denim Blue".  After that, I did the top of the cap with a wash of very thinned Americana "True Blue".
     Next, I used the "Snow White" to touch up areas of the face, arms, hair and underside of the cap where the blues had mistakenly spread.   I then gave the face and arms a wash with some Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.  When that was dry, I gave the underside of her cap and her hair a wash with the very thinned Americana "Antique White".   I then painted her eyes using Americana " Light Cinnamon" for the socket shadows and Accent "Real Umber" for the pupil dots.
    I then highlighted the face and arms with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White", and highlighted the hair and underside of the cap with Americana "Bleached Sand".  After that, I painted the specks on top of the cap with the "Snow White".   
     It was now time to work on the rocky outcropping the mushroom was growing from.  I began by painting the outcropping and rest of the base with Americana "Zinc".  When dry, I gave the base a coat of some Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash. When the wash was dry, I gave it alght drybrush with some Folk Art "Porcelain White".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.     Then, another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".


     I'm really happy with how she came out.  I like the effect of the pale washes and they were relatively easy to do..

2 comments:

  1. Great work. Very clever use of the washes, (who needs Contrast paints). I'll be doing something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, misterc! I'm interested in trying out some Contrast Paint, but haven't gotten my hands on any yet. I hope to soon.
      Good luck with yours!

      Delete