Monday, June 11, 2018

Goblins: Bones 3 Figures

   This past week I painted up the half dozen Goblins from the Bones 3 Goblins set, as I needed a few more for a game I'm running at Historicon in July.   Nothing fancy for these guys, just a get-'em-on-the-table paint job.
     I used the same color scheme that I started using on the Bones Goblins back in in 2014 with the Goblins from the Bones 1 Kickstarter; based on my old D&D Monster Manual, which said Goblins ranged in color from yellow to dull orange to brick red.
   So, I prepped the figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added and then rinsing and drying.   I then glued them to 1" black-primed fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue.  I then glued the figures to a pair of tongue depressors, 3 each, with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue each.
 
       I began by giving all six figures a wash with Reaper MSP "Brown Liner", and when that was dry, I painted the skin on all six with accent "Golden Oxide".  Then on the first three I painted the first and third ones' shields, and the second one's pants with Reaper MSP Bones "Cinnamon Red".  Next, I painted the loin cloths on all three with Folk Art "Teddy Bear Brown".  I also used this color for the back of the shields.  After that, I painted the second one's chest armor, and the cross pieces on the third one's shield with Black.
      I then painted all their shoes, belts, straps, and wrist braces with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown".  After that, I painted their weapons, and the second one's helmet, all with Americana "Zinc".
       Next, when everything had had a chance to dry, I gave the figures a complete wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade wash.  When that was dry, I realized I hadn't painted their teeth, so I painted them with Americana "Antique White".  I let that dry, I then went over their mouths again with some of the "Agrax Earthshade'.  When it was dry, I painted their eyes, and then highlighted their teeth with Americana "Bleached Sand".  After that, I highlighted their skin with a mix of the base "Golden Oxide" mixed with some Ceramcoat "Maple Sugar Tan", and painted their weapons, the hemet, the chest armor, and any studs, with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey" 
     I then highlighted the red on the shields and the second one's pants with some Ceramcoat "opaque Red".  After that I highlighted all the shoes, belts, and straps with Americana "Sable Brown", and the loin cloths and shield wood backs with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  I highlighted the Black cross bars on the third one's shield with Americana "Neutral Grey", and then highlighted all the metal bits with some Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".   Lastly, I painted the figures bases with Americana "Raw Umber".

     I then turned to the second group of three. I had already painted their skin with the "Golden Oxide" when I did the first three, so I then painted their clothing with Vallejo "Brown Violet", and all their shoes, straps, belts, and the quiver, with the "Cinnamon Brown". 
       Next, I painted the bow, and the shafts on the halberd and spear, with the"Teddy Bear Brown".  I also used this color for the back of the shields.  After that, I painted the edged weapons, the second one's helmet, shoulder armor and wrist guards, all with the "Zinc".  On the third one, I painted his shield half Apple Barrel "Yellow", and half "Black".
        Next, when everything had had a chance to dry, I gave the figures a complete wash with the "Agrax Earthshade wash.  When that was dry, I realized I hadn't painted their teeth again(!), so I painted them with the "Antique White".  I let that dry, I then went over their mouths again with some of the "Agrax Earthshade'.  When it was dry, I painted their eyes, and then highlighted their teeth with the "Bleached Sand".  After that, I highlighted their skin with a mix of the base "Golden Oxide" mixed with some "Maple Sugar Tan", and painted their weapons, the hemet, the chest armor, and any studs, with "Gunmetal Grey"
     I then highlighted their clothing with a mix of the base "Brown Violet" and some Americana "Jade Green".  After that I highlighted all the shoes, belts, and straps with Americana "Sable Brown", and the wood weapon parts and shield back with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige".  I highlighted the Black half on the third one's shield with Americana "Neutral Grey", and the Yellow part with Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow".  After that, I highlighted all the metal bits with some Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".   Lastly, I painted the figures bases with Americana "Raw Umber".

     I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave all 6 of them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them all with Testor's Dullcote". 


     I'm real happy with these guys for simple paint jobs, and they should fit into the horde quite nicely!

6 comments:

  1. Every D&D type game needs goblins, so these should get a ton of use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I plan to have them on the table this Friday in a wargame.

      Delete
  2. These are some very characterful Goblins! Love the red spotcolour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking great, it's nice to see the traditional yellow skinned goblins (mine are too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like the color! I got my first color ideas from the original Monster Manual long ago, so painting Goblins green, just didn't seem right to me. :)

      Delete