Monday, May 28, 2018

Bandit Knocker: Bones 3 Figure

   This past week, I picked a simple figure to work on; as I was still a bit limited in my ability to paint, as I continue to recover from arm surgery.  The figure I painted was the Bandit Knocker from Part III of the Stoneskull Expansion set from the Bones 3 Kickstarter.
     I prepped this figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.   I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.
     I began by giving the entire figure a wash with Reaper MSP "Brown Liner".  When that was dry, I painted all his skin with Americana "Shading Flesh". Next, I painted his armor bits with Americana "Raw Umber", and his leggings with Folk Art Dapple Gray".
     I then painted all his leather bits with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and then did his club with Americana "Mississippi Mud". Next, I did the patch on his right knee with Accent "Golden Harvest", and then his boot tops with Americana "Avocado".  After that, I painted the pouch around back, and the grip of the knife in his boot, with Black.
     I let everything dry for a while,  and then I gave his skin a wash with some Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.  When that was dry, I gave the rest of his clothing, armor, and weapon, a wash with Citadel Agrax Earthshade"wash.   When these washes were dry, I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his skin with a mix of the base "Shading Flesh", and Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh". I also gave him some eyebrows with Reaper MSP "Turkey Brown".
     I then painted his armor, by first splotching near the edges with Crafter's Edition "Spice Brown", and then some lesser splotching with Accent "Golden Oxide". After that I gave it a good drybrushing with  Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  After that, I highlighted the wood of the club with Crafter's Edition "Taupe".
     I next highlighted all the leather parts with Americana "Sable Brown".  I then painted all the studs and buckles on all the leather with Reaper MSP "Scorched Metal", and then highlighted them with the "Gunmetal Grey".  I highlighted his leggings with a mix of the base "Dapple Grey", and some Americana "Dove Grey"; the patch was highlighted with Americana "Moon Yellow".  I then highlighted the tops of the boots with a mix of the base "Avocado", and some Crafter's Acrylic "Wild Green", and did the highlights on the back pouch with Americana "Zinc".
      Lastly, I painted the figure's base with the "Raw Umber".
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".   When the Dullcote was dry, applied a little gloss varnish to the eye balls.

   Well, not a great figure; but considering I was still recovering from my arm surgery, so only had limited use of my one arm (granted it was the one that I hold the figure with, not my brush hand,)  I'm pleased with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment