Monday, April 9, 2018

Torture Equipment- The Rack: Bones 3 Figure

   It was another busy week this past week, so I selected the last piece from the Bones 3 Torture Chamber set to paint.
      I prepped the pieces of the figure in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.    I then assembled the rack with Gorilla superglue gel.  When the glue had set, I glued the rack to a pair of primed 1"x 1" steel bases with Aleene's Tacky glue (I would have just used a 2" x 1", but I didn't have one.), and then glued the mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer's glue.
      I began by painting the whole thing with Americana "Neutral Grey".  When that dried, I gave the whole piece a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash. 
      When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the whole thing with Folk Art "Barn Wood".   Next, I painted the ropes with Folk Art "Porcelain White", and the metal fittings with Reaper MSP "Scorched Metal".
     I let everything dry for a bit again, and then gave the rope and the metal bits a wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.  When the wash was dry, I highlighted the rope with the base "Porcelain White", and I highlighted the metal with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  After that I dabbed on some Winsor Newton"Peat Brown" Ink here and there on the table to look like assorted stains.  I also put a little of the "Nuln Oil" on the wheel spokes to look like stains from constant hand contact.  Lastly, I painted the base with the "NeutralGrey".
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".



     I'm really happy with this one.  I think the aged wood looks just right, and the  addition of the staining adds a nice touch of authenticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment