I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it. I then glued the figure to a black-primed 7/8" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue. And, when the glue was dry, I put it in my Citadel painting grip.
I then worked on the pot, painting it first Americana "Black", and then painting the soup with Folk Art "Porcelain White". When the "Porcelain White" was dry, I gave it a wash with some Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash. When the wash was dry, I added a few highlight dots to the soup with the base "Porcelain White". I then highlighted the pot with some Americana "Zinc". I finished up by painting the base with Americana "Mississippi Mud".
I let the figure sit all day, and that evening I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish. The next afternoon I gave the figure a coat of Testor's "Dullcote" spray varnish.