Monday, February 5, 2018

Dingo, Halfling Rogue: Bones 3 Figure

   I continued to work on my Halfling Crew this week, and Painted Dingo, Halfling Rogue, from the Bones 3 Core set.    I was a bit surprised as I studied this figure to see that it is the same base figure as Woody Stumpwimple, Halfling Ranger, that I painted last week; with the both the torso and legs being exactly the same.   I wonder how often Reaper does this kind of reuse with figure bodies?
        I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 7/8" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue.   And, when the glue was dry,  I put it in my Citadel painting grip.
      I began by giving the figure a thinned wash of Reaper MSP "Brown Liner".  When the wash was dry, I painted the lower armor with Black, and when the Black was dry, I drybrushed it with Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey".  I then painted his (or her?  I'm not sure!) face, feet, and hands with Reaper MSP "Tanned Skin."
     Next, I painted the shirt with Accent "Golden Harvest", and then the torso armor, and wrist guards with Americana "Asphaltum".   I then painted the sash with Ceramcoat "Black Cherry", and his/her hair with Americana "Terra Cotta".
     Next, I worked on all the stuff the figure is carrying.  I realized at this point the figure was carrying a bow and quiver (A rogue?), so I carefully cut off the fletchings on the quiver, and tried to make it look like some sort of long thin case.  I also lopped the end off the bow, and figured I treat the lower half of the bow case as his/her scabbard.   I then painted the backpack with Accent "Real Umber", and the blanket roll with Folk Art Dapple Grey".  After that, I painted the ex-quiver with Reaper MSP "Turkey Brown", and the canteen with Crafter's Edition "Spice Brown".  Where I cut away the fletchings and there was little lumpy spot left, I just covered it with some Americana "Mississippi Mud".   I then painted the "scabbard" with the Black Cherry", and then painted the sword and the metal bits on the scabbard with Americana "Zinc".
        Then, after everything had a while to dry, I gave his body a wash with  Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash, and the face hands, and legs a wash with Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash.   When the washes were dry, I painted his eyes, and then highlighted the face with Reaper MSP "Tanned Highlight", then did some further detial highlights by adding a little White to the "Tanned Highlight".  Next, I highlighted his/her hair with some Accent "Golden Oxide", and then mixed a little Ceramcoat "Maple Syrup Tan" to do lighter highlights.
       Next, I highlighted his shirt with Crafter's Acrylic "Bright Yellow", and his sash with Folk Art "Burgundy".   I then highlighted his leather armor with the Accent "Golden Oxide", and his belts and backpack with the "Mississippi Mud".  After that, I highlighted his blanket roll with Folk Art "Gray Green",  and his ex-quiver and canteen with Americana "Sable Brown".   I then painted the sword, scabbard fittings, and the small oval plate on his/her chest with the "Gunmetal Grey", and when dry, highlighted it with  Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".
     Lastly, I painted the figure's base with Ceramcoat "Walnut".
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".

    I'm happy with how this Halfling turned out.  I think he'll make a good edition to my Halfsized-Heroes Crew.

2 comments:

  1. Huh! Wierd, I never noticed that Reaper repeats miniatures in this way. I might have to look into that (if time allows). But I think you managed to distinguish the two well enough by color choice alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, XarfaiEngel! I should probably take a photo of the two side by side.

      Delete