Monday, February 26, 2018

A Pair of Ghasts Painted up as Ghouls for Ghost Archipelago.

    This past week I painted up a pair of Ghasts to represent some Ghouls for Ghost Archipelago.   These figures were from the Bones 2, 24 Bonus Figure Set.
     I prepped these figures in the usual way; soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.   I then did some conversion work on one of them, turning his head, and repositioning his left arm.  Afterward, I glued the figures to black-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figures to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue under each washer.   
     I began by painting the entire body with Folk Art "Grey Green".  I then painted the scraps of remaining tunic on the left one with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige", and on the right one with Crafter's Acrylic "Navy Blue".   After that, I painted their belts with Americana "Raw Umber".
Next, I painted their teeth with Americana "Antique White", and their tongues with Black.  Then, when everything had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthshade" wash.  When the wash was dry, I painted their eyes with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White", and highlighted their teeth with Americana "Bleached Sand". 
    I decided I didn't like the plain white eyes, so I added pupils with Crafter's Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey".   I then highlighted their skin with Folk Art "Porcelain White".  After that, I highlighted the left tunic with Reaper MSP "Ginger Cookie", and the one on the right with Ceramcoat "Denim Blue".   Next, I highlighted their belts with Americana "Sable Brown", and painted the belt buckles with Americana "Terra Cotta".  Lastly, I painted the figures' bases with Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate".
     I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor's Dullcote".

     They're nothing wonderful, but will serve well in their rolls as Ghouls for Ghost Archipelago.  I'm not convinced I like how the milky eyes turned out, and may try something else next time.


  1. Those look nice, you've inspired me to get mine done for both Frostgrave games.

    1. Thank you! I'm happy to hear I served as inspiration! :)

  2. They look suitably creepy for sure!

  3. Ironically I'm working on the same ones right now. Thanks for posting this.