Monday, March 5, 2018

Hagar, Dwarven Hero: Bones 3 Figure, with Crossbow Conversion

    This past week I got back to working on my all-Dwarf warband for Frostgrave, and painted Hagar, Dwarven Hero, from the Bones 3 Dwarves Set.  I had converted this figure a while back, as part of a trio of Bones 3 Dwarves I converted for an all-Dwarf warband for Frostgrave, by replacing one of his axes with a crossbow and adding a quiver of bolts, both from the Frostgrave Soldiers plastic figure set from Northstar.
Working on the figure in the center this week.

Figure in the center with axe removed, and crossbow and quiver of bolts added.
       I had originally planned to start working on this figure a while ago, and had glued it to a craft stick, but then it got back-burned for other projects.  When I decided to get back to it last week, I popped it off the stick and put it in my painting grip.
     I began by painting all the armor Black.  Then, when the Black was dry, I drybrushed the armor with  Folk Art Metallics "Gunmetal Grey", and then passed over it with a lighter drybrush of Ceramcoat "Metallic Silver".  After that, I painted his face with Americana Shading Flesh.
     Next, I painted his beard with Reaper MSP "Turkey Brown", and then did his belts, straps, shoes, and quiver with Americana "Raw Umber". I also painted the pouch on his back with Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige", and his pants with Apple Barrel "Apple Maple Syrup".
    I then painted his crossbow and axe handle, with Crafter's Acrylic "Cinnamon Brown", and then painted the crossbow rope with Americana "Antique White".  After that, I painted the quarrel fletchings with Americana "Dove Grey", and the fang(?) on the quiver with Americana "Bleached Sand".  When all that was dry, I gave all the non metallic parts, except for his face, a wash with Citadel "Agrax Earthsahde" wash. I then went back and applied some Citadel "Reikland Fleshshade" wash to his face.
     When the washes were dry, I highlighted his face with some Crafter's Acrylic "Flesh" mixed with a little of the Shading Flesh".   I then highlighted his beard with Americana "Sable Brown", and then a little Americana "Khaki Tan".  Next, I painted the beads in his beard, using a base of Apple Barrel "Yellow", and then highlighting up using, first, Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow", and then Apple Barrel "Lemon Chiffon".  I first only highlighted alternating beads, as I planned to paint the other ones with gold, but as I looked at the highlighted beads I realized I had achieved something of an unintentional Non-Metallic Metal  (NMM) effect unintentionally, so I just went back and highlighted the rest of the beads.
     Next, I highlighted his belts, straps, and quiver with Americana "Terra Cotta", and then highlighted the pouch on his back with the "Khaki Tan".  I then highlighted the wood parts of the crossbow, the axe handle, and his shoes with Americana "Mississippi Mud", and the rope on the crossbow with the "Bleached Sand".   after that, I highlighted the fletchings with White, and the fang(?) with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antique White".
    I then turned to the non-armor metal parts; and painted his beer mug with Accent "Princely Pewter", and the axe head and crossbow fittings with Ceramcoat "Metallic Pewter".   I then went back and highlighted these parts, as well as some of the armor with the "Metallic Silver".
 Lastly, I painted the figure's base with Black.
    When the Black was dry, I used some white glue to glue a little black course sand onto the base.  When this was dry I drybrushed the bases with some of the Americana "Neutral Grey", and then some of the "Dove Grey".
      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor's Dullcote".


   I like how this Dwarf turned out; though in the end, I find the sculpt's turned head a little awkward looking.  The beard in my opinion is not arranged in  a position to match the angle of the head, and the face ends up having a somewhat squished appearance.  But, in the end, none of that will affect his performance in a Frostgrave warband!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Really cool conversion! Are the rest of the Dwarves already painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      No, the other two Dwarves in the photos at the top haven't been painted yet. With the start of our Ghost Archipelago campaign this year, all the pending Frostgrave figures got bumped way back in the queue. I'm trying now to wrap them up as time and enthusiasm permits. So, they will be posted sometime in the future.

      Delete
  2. Very nice conversion and useful for the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete