Thursday, November 10, 2016

Flying Snake, Familiar: Figure 261 of 266 or, Just 5 Figures Remaining.

   This week I was busy with post Fall-In blogging, car-unloading, and putting everything away, so didn't have a lot of painting time; so I pulled another one of the Familiars set to work on.  There are just two figures left in this set.
     I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a white-primed .75" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
    I began by painting the entire figure with Crafter's Acrylic "Wild Green", and then painted the feathery fins on the body with Crafter's Acrylic "Holiday Green".  Next, I painted the wing feathers with Americana "Forest Green".
      I let everything dry for a while, and then I gave the entire figure a wash with Iron Wind Metals "Dark Green" Ink, using a wet brush.  When the ink wash was dry, I painted the little coils on the wings with Apple Barrel "Yellow".  I then went back and did highlights on the coils with Crafter's Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow", and used this color to paint the eyes.
     Next, I added pupils to the eyes with Black, and then highlighted the body with a mix of the base "Wild Green", and Americana "Buttermilk".  I then highlighted the feathery fins on the body with the "Wild Green". After that, I highlighted the feathers on the wings with a mix of the "Holiday Green" and the "Wild Green".  Lastly, I painted his integral base with Ceramcoat "Walnut".
           I let the figure dry all day, and before I went to bed I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish". The next morning I flocked the base, and later that afternoon I sprayed it with Testor's "Dullcote".

          Like the Familiar I did Monday, I'm not sure exactly how I'll ever use this odd little fellow; but nonetheless I think he turned out looking pretty good.

Figure 261 of 266: Complete

5 figures left.

No comments:

Post a Comment