Friday, November 6, 2015

Giant Spider (Frostgrave Version): Bones II Figure

    This week, I squeezed in painting, (in between all my Fall-In preparations!), one of the Bones II Giant Spiders from the Core Set Bonus Figures.  I wanted to paint it up as an Ice Spider for use with Frostgrave.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish- soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a white-primed 1" fender washers with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     I began by painting the entire spider with Crafters Acrylic "Storm Cloud Grey". When this was dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with GW "Badab Black" wash using a wet brush.
     When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the spider with the base "Storm Cloud Grey", and then gave it a lighter drybrushing with Folk Art "Platinum Grey".   I then painted in two eyes with Crafters Edition "Christmas Red".  Next, I took some White and painted a design on the back of the spider, and gave the eyes tiny reflection dots.  Lastly, I used the White to touch up the paint on the base, anywhere that I had accidentally gotten other colors.
      When everything had overnight to dry, I gave the figure a coat of Ceramcoat "Matte Varnish".  Then, the next morning, I flocked the base with Woodland Scenics "Snow" flock.  Later that afternoon I sprayed the figure with Testor's Dullcote.
      I decided to go with grey on this fellow, as I think I tend towards blue with my Frostgave stuff, and I wanted to get away from that.  It's a nice and simple monster, and was quick to paint.

2 comments: